PDA

View Full Version : Protection from winter

imported_Bruno
10-21-2006, 05:22 PM
hi i`m new to this forum and have a couple of questions for the experts here. what products do you guys recommend for winter protection? i currently use p21s about once a month but feel this does not last long enough to get me through. i`m not a very experienced detailer and am driving a new car with a silver metallic paint. what do you guys think of Black Magic wet shine lighid wax. consumer reports rated this the #1 wax. also how do you guys keep your cars clean in winter? do you use touchless car washes? i wont be able hand wash here in MA for very much longer. plese help a n00b. :nervous:

Bigpoppa3346
10-21-2006, 05:26 PM
There are more than a few threads out now about winter protection...do a search.

58fury
10-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey, first off welcome :welcome , the waxes you mentioned are great, but will not last in the winter, where abouts do you live? im currently using Klasse twins, which is All in one, and a Sealant, which i layered a few times, finally it is rec to top your sealant with a good quality Carnuba wax, i use Natty`s Blue, this is only 1 of many combo`s you can use, everyone has a different liking to various products, if you do live in Canada, check out www.eshine.com thats were i purchased my products from :2thumbs: , and RE winter washes, i also dont have a garage, so ill be using the touchless washes as well, just dont go through washes with burshes :soscared: , hope this helped, Cheers

AL-53
10-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Hello Bruno...I am from Mass also....

For my winter protection I am using Duragloss Total Performance polish #105...

it is a very durable sealant that will carry you through the winter salt and grime...

To make it better top it with Collinite wax if you want for that extra protection...and protective layer...but not needed if you chose not to...

the Duragloss will carry you thru winter no problem..2-3 coats and you will have some serious protetion...

I use the wand wash in winter and dry it and use Duragloss Aquawax to spruce it up...

there are a ton of threads here on both products....

If you go to the Duragloss site you will see the products....site is down at the moment...

here is another link to see the line up....the whole product line is very good...perform better than they decribe them..you will not be disapointed

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss.html

Al

Wasatch
10-21-2006, 06:15 PM
For me, last week clayed, and some Menzerna AJ, topped it today with Collinite 845. Looks very nice and glossy and slick as hell.

Accumulator
10-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Bruno- Welcome to Autopia!

IMO that CR article on waxes was ludicrous...I honestly can`t figure out what they`re thinking and I consider it to have no credibility at all. Yeah, that`s a pretty strong opinion, huh? When it comes to waxes/etc., I`ve been disagreeing with them, based on first-hand experience, for 30 years now.

Everybody has their favorites, but since you`re getting good results with the P21s wax other than the durability, I`d just get a can of Collinite 476S paste wax and put that over top of what you have on there now. Collinite is a great winter wax, usually lasts me all season here in Ohio. I`d just add a coat after each wash between now and cold weather.

The 845 is a little easier to use and more commonly available (see autoparts/marine supply stores) but in my experience it doesn`t last like the 476S does. I`m relying on 476S to get my winter beater through the season, and I have a scad of different products to choose from.

The unique beading characteristics of the Collinite will, IMO help you get by with only the touchless washes; stuff doesn`t stick to Collinite all that readily as long as you don`t let it get *too* dirty between washes.

imported_Bruno
10-22-2006, 06:17 PM
thanx for the replies guys. :)

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-22-2006, 06:23 PM
My girlfriends car got 2 coats of #845 for a winter shield. I still cant get over how nice 845 looks and the fact that it is detergent proof makes it unbeatable, IMO, for winter protection using only the local self-serve car wash.