PDA

View Full Version : Where does my Z-16 go?

Pages : [1] 2

jw
10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Whenever I apply Z-16 to my tires they look great after I let them dry overnight. After I drive around the block it`s all gone. Where does it go? It doesn`t sling off onto my paint. Isn there anything I can do to make it look like it does before I drive it? Why is it so hard to find a wet looking tire dressing that lasts for more than one drive?

Thanks

Joshua312
10-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I`m with you on this one...I am testing the RDF Trim and Tire Sealant and it looks great after 2 days of driving in very rainy conditions..I will take a picture and post it in a little bit and it will amaze you how clean/new the area looks compared to the rest of the tire/vehicle

Bigpoppa3346
10-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Is the RDF Tire and Trim sealant water based or oil based?

imported_memnuts
10-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Whenever I apply Z-16 to my tires they look great after I let them dry overnight. After I drive around the block it`s all gone. Where does it go? It doesn`t sling off onto my paint. Isn there anything I can do to make it look like it does before I drive it? Why is it so hard to find a wet looking tire dressing that lasts for more than one drive?

Thanks

That`s a good question. Z16 is not a "high gloss" racy looking tire sealant/protectant. Z16 is more in appearance to the "new-out-of-the-mold-look. My tires retain that look for weeks when not driven in the rain.

Meg`s Extreme Gloss Gel or Spray has a very high gloss and last a go while that may meet your needs in terms of gloss.

After several applications of Z16 over a period of weeks will retain this look.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/blkZ28Conv/Mvc-018s.jpg

ret
10-21-2006, 06:52 PM
After several applications of Z16 over a period of weeks will retain this look.

To say that they "will retain this look" may not be an accurate statement.

Z-16 actually may never produce durable results on some sets of tires.

I had this conversation with Sal after poor durability results with Z-16 on two different sets of tires, as well as most exterior plastic trim.

Sal said that in the development testing of Z-16 they found that with some tire samples the Z-16 just wouldn’t stick, and that he doesn’t prefer to use Z-16 on exterior trim.

Over a month’s time my sets of tires were “properly cleaned†multiple times with products ranging from Simple Green, Eagle One, Westley’s Bleeche White, and Meg’s GCâ€..they were also left undressed for a weak to dry or “sweat out†any silicon residues.

No matter what was done the Z-16 would wash away in one rain shower.

And I don’t mean the finish was reduced to a Matt finishâ€It was gone!!

So IMO the correct statement to make when referring to Z-16s durability improving over weeks of applications is that it may, or may not improve.

RET

imported_Suprchargd
10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
If you want a long-lasting tire dressing try Turtle Wax Wet n Black. I use it on my car applying it with a slightly damp small sponge (only used for this purpose). It lasts a really long time, and rain has no effect on it.

The only problem is that it`s very tough to clean off (depending on what materials you have). It cakes on the more you put on. I didn`t clean my tires for a while, just kept reapplying it and that just made the job harder when I did decide to clean them.

It`s an OTC product too and its not too much money. I think there is a spray bottle version but I don`t think its the same thing because that one is clear, mine is the bottle with the black `gel` in it you squeeze to get it out.

wannafbody
10-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Z16 doesn`t work on hard plastic IMO-after cleaning the tires with APC I`ve had good luck with it tho. If you like a wet hi-gloss look Mothers FX might be more to your likeing

captkirk2
10-21-2006, 09:33 PM
I like the look of Z16 after multiple coats. Its gone after rain tho. Some good tire shines can be buffed back to the look after being driven in the rain. Endurance and FX come to mind, also turtle was tire gel.

medic159
10-21-2006, 10:10 PM
My experience with Z16 started with a set of brand new tires that had never been treated before. The Z16 stays for a long time and never seems to wash away. I think, like polishing paint, the surface prep is most important. This picture shows a new tire after five days and after having been driven about 200+ miles through some torrential downpours and scorching sun. You can see the Z16 still performing.

http://dftowel.com/elky/Z16close.jpg

imported_GregCavi
10-21-2006, 11:09 PM
I have had mixed results with the z16 as well. With my car, it goes flawless. I get an excellent shine and durability to boot. With some other tires, coupled with the cool temps lately (very low 40`s) the durability just isnt there. I am going to talk to Sal on this issue soon and report back on the findings.

Greg

ret
10-22-2006, 10:13 AM
I think, like polishing paint, the surface prep is most important.

Yo DFTowel

Congratulation on the excellent results that YOU experience using Z-16.

I’ve noticed that you seem to pop in with the same picture and the same blurb

(This picture shows a new tire after five days and after having been driven about 200+ miles through some torrential downpours and scorching sun. You can see the Z16 still performing.)

Being that in this post you have referenced the importance of “surface prep†prior to applying Z-16, would you be so kind as to educating us on what your proven “best result†prep steps for Z-16 applications are (products and process).

If you’re not doing anything different from what has already been discussed by the customers who are not experiencing good results (cleaning the tires with industry standard cleaners) then that’s ok, you can just reply with something like “I’m fortunate to own a set of tires that Z-16 works well withâ€.

However, if you feel so strongly about the importance of prep then please shares the intricate details of your proven process.

Thanks

RT

PS

If you could also tell me what I can put on my rims and lower body panels to keep them looking as the do in your picture after having been driven about 200+ miles through some torrential downpoursâ€..that’ed be great! :2thumbs:

medic159
10-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Yo DFTowel

...However, if you feel so strongly about the importance of prep then please shares the intricate details of your proven process.

Thanks

RT

PS

If you could also tell me what I can put on my rims and lower body panels to keep them looking as the do in your picture after having been driven about 200+ miles through some torrential downpoursâ€..that’ed be grate! :2thumbs:

I don;t recall "feeling strongly" actually I said I suspect it is important. I`ve noticed that people that have used other brands before trying the Z16 seem to have the most trouble. I think a new tire or one that has been repeatedly cleaned will help the Z16 perform better. I know I`ve read that some people have better results after several wahsings and allowing the tires to leech the silicone from the prior use of other gels and coatings.

The rims and body panels as well as the tires had been cleaned before this picture, I was about to apply a coat of Z16 when I saw it was still shining and blackening the tires and took the picture.

Joshua312
10-22-2006, 04:52 PM
So you cleaned the tires before that picture was taken? Thats a little different than showing up at the show and having your tires look like that after a 200+ mile trip without cleaning or re-dressing. I can barely make it 1 day and have my tires look the way yours do in that pic

TNT C5
10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I just started using Adams VRT and really like it. One word of caution on all tire dressing...they must go on a clean tire, not over a previous product.

DM101
10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
All I have to say is Meg. Hot Shine. Spray and walk away. Simple as that.