PDA

View Full Version : Product that surprised you the most?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

lemans23
10-21-2006, 12:50 AM
I was thinking about making this thread after I washed my car today. I hadn`t really planned anything different (always use Meg`s GC), until I saw that my dad had swiped the rest of the soap for his Z :furious: . So, I went to pepboys and debated between turtle wax platinum soap and NXT soap. After playing some eenie meanie miney mo, I picked up the NXT. The moment I started washing with it I realized that the GC just isn`t the same. The lubricity was through the roof and it rinsed off like blowing out a candle. So, what product have you guys tried after which you said, how the hell have I not known about this?

imported_truzoom
10-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Hm..

I tried RainX recently.. just on my side windows, rear window, and side mirrors. Very convenient to have water simply bead off it, and convenient for winter time spray downs at the coin-op.

lemans23
10-21-2006, 01:09 AM
I use rain x all the time...which is the reason it`s a love-hate relationship. It`s a great product, but the moment you start using your wipers even a little bit, the performance goes into the tank.

03COBRA
10-21-2006, 01:12 AM
I use rain x all the time...which is the reason it`s a love-hate relationship. It`s a great product, but the moment you start using your wipers even a little bit, the performance goes into the tank.

Pick up some Rain-X blades...

Zaino Z16 Tire Dressing surprised me the most. I have tried almost all the others and this product was perfect IMO.

JohnZ3MC
10-21-2006, 01:13 AM
I was blown away by the TOL (Hi-Temp) tire/rubber cleaner. Brown stuff just ooooozed off the tire even though I`d tried a million other concoctions before.

Mind you, the effect wasn`t so pronounced the second time, just because the rubber was already so incredibly clean. It makes a super base for the tire prep of choice.

I`m also amazed by virtually every new wax/sealant I use. I always think the new one is the best in the whole world, or at least until I try the next one, but the TOL tire stuff ranks as my all time surprise product.

-John C.

lemans23
10-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Pardon my noobness, but what`s TOL?

imported_CDTGaticaW201
10-21-2006, 01:26 AM
TOL=Top of the Line

The product that surprised me the most was Target`s Vroom Tire Dressing...for two bucks I thought it`d be mediocre, but man, it went on easily (with an applicator) and gave my tires the perfect look and lasted.

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-21-2006, 02:01 AM
OHC is mine. I would attribute most of it to the fact that it was the first true compound I tried and to the car I was working on. It was a 98 Gran Prix that was marred to hell and back. OHC just cut right through like nothing and finished down beautifully. I have been an Optimum fan ever since.

BigAl3
10-21-2006, 02:41 AM
mothers fx tire shine & spray wax, excellent top notch products! :up

MorBid
10-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Keeping on the RainX theme. I picked up some of thier Ultra Wax (liquid paste) from Pep Boys last winter. I wanted something to put on my winter wheels and was to lazy to drive accross town and pickup some Collinite.

Manufactuer claims --

Ultimate protection from all the elements. UV protection against fading and oxidation. High gloss finish and durability. Easy to apply. Includes applicator sponge. UV sunscreens protect against fading and oxidation.

Helps to repel rain, snow and sleet from vehicle exterior. Reduces the build-up of mud, tar, insects and road grime. High gloss finish and durability. For clearcoat and all automotive paint finishes.

Easy to apply. Rain-X Ultra Wax Liquid Formula is a premium wax that forms a protective barrier between your car`s paint and harsh environmental elements. The ultra-thin, transparent polymer coating formula fills the microscopic pores of your vehicle`s surface shielding it against all the elements by repelling rain, snow and sleet and reducing the build-up of mud, tar, insects and road grime.

Rain-X Ultra Wax is also formulated with a powerful UV sunscreen to protect your vehicle`s paint from fading and oxidation. Rain-X Ultra Wax Liquid leaves your car with ultimate protection and a high gloss finish

End Claims --

Okay seems about right for what I wanted and it did hold up well and kept the wheels easy to clean, plus it has a pleasant fragrance so I figured I would try it on the panels since I had no other winter wax on hand.

While they do say it`s easy to apply, getting the haze off is another matter entirely. I use very very light coats applied with a foam applicator and it takes some doing with MF`s to get all the hazing off. I think my MF`s are too plushy and aren`t "grabbing" the reside but just pushing it around. I tried misting the panels with straight water and that did help, misting with Meg`s QD made it worse.

I`m gonna try removal with my PC and some bonnets this weekend, I`m not a big fan of either the PC or LSP application and removal by machine but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

As for the other claims they seem to hold up. I did notice the car was easier to clean off the film from the road salt and other grime. The shine on my Brilliant Black Audi had depth of gloss and real poping appreance. Not saying any other wax can`t do the same thing, but for a OTC wax I was suprised.

MorBiD

mr.ikon
10-21-2006, 03:19 AM
This 32 oz. bottle of vinyl/rubber black trim restore. Picked it up from my local car brite place. Product wasnt car brite, it was somethin else. Bottle was 21.53 after tax and he gave me a foam applicator for free. I think its cause we got the same name. But i was truly impressed by the results.

vwgtivw
10-21-2006, 06:58 AM
If you like Rain X you have to try Aquapel from PPG and you will wonder how you lived with out it. It last longer and it doesn`t make you wipers chatter. Just a side note I buy it by the case(24) and it works out to be about $4.50 an application and I charge my customer an extra $15.00 per application. On most cars an applicator will do the windshield and front side glass. On my Jetta I can do all the window glass. http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/default.htm

joshtpa
10-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Definately the Armor All Extreme Tire Gel. I was given this by a neighbot and decided to give it a try. I usually stick to my Meguiars Hot Shine. At first it looked okay. Then after 10 minutes it looked fantastic. Very wet look for those who like it. Absolutely no sling from my experience. Plus it has been 2 weeks and they are still looking incredibly wet and that is after it has poured rain twice.

Grimm
10-21-2006, 07:32 AM

I have not had this experience. It always drove me nuts how the wipers wouldn`t clean my windshield well at all and would streak until I found RainX. Now I use it, and even using the wipers it beads a good month, and there is still some slickness after a couple months.

4details2win
10-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Mothers FX Tire shine has impressed me. It`s FAST and has a nice gloss that`s not TOO glossy. Just spray it on an applicator *a couple shots on the applicator per tire* and your done in 1 - 2 minutes. If you use too much it will sling unless you come back and wipe the tires after it`s dried. However I don`t need to wipe the tires after if you use sparingly.

TurtleWax Platinum Car Wash Soap is really good stuff also. Great price at SAMS and good lubricity smells good too.