PDA

View Full Version : How to clean this aftermarket intake for my car

Pages : [1] 2

rx7_FD
10-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey guys I have this intake im going to purchase from a local guy on my rx7 club forum. Can I use a engine degreaser to clean it up? I already have 303 aerospace cleaner would that work? Pics below

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/gurbaj/05-09-06_1807.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/gurbaj/05-09-06_1806.jpg

Thanks in advance :ca

lemans23
10-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Are you talking about the intake as a whole, or just the acutal cone?

rx7_FD
10-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Are you talking about the intake as a whole, or just the acutal cone?

Just the cone

lemans23
10-21-2006, 12:52 AM
I`d personally buy a new filter element. Regardless of whether or not you wind up "cleaning" it, you`ll still have dirt in there causing restriction. I`d just bite the bullet.

rx7_FD
10-21-2006, 12:53 AM
SOmeone suggested to me that I shake it to loosen up the dirt and then vaccum it on low speed. Thats to get rid of the dirt inside but what about the appearence of it. I want it to look like its in great condition

lemans23
10-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Trust me, that doesn`t work. Among my hobbies, speaker building and cars are the top two. Due to the first hobby, I wind up cleaning my vacuum filter at least twice a month, and I can guarantee you that you`ll never recover that power. I would buy a new cone altogether because the intake charge COULD be compromised if you start tooling around with a weakened paper element.

Eliot Ness
10-21-2006, 01:33 AM
That looks like it might be a K & N filter. If so, they are made to be cleaned (washed) and then "recharged" with their air filter oil. Here is a link:

http://www.knfilters.com/

The cleaning/oil kit:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/kn6.htm

If it isn`t a K & N then buy one to replace what you have. It will perform much better (air flow) and you can use the cleaning kit to maintain it.

rx7_FD
10-21-2006, 01:41 AM
So I guess soap and water wont do the trick huh?

Eliot Ness
10-21-2006, 01:45 AM
So I guess soap and water wont do the trick huh?I wouldn`t risk it (I`ve only used the cleaner that comes in the kit), plus you need the special oil to recharge it after it is cleaned.

velobard
10-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Even if it`s not an actual K & N brand filter, their cleaner and recharge oil kit will work fine for your filter.

If I were you I`d look into fabricating a new intake tube with smoother walls than that one in the pic. I`ve seen components at AutoZone to build your own intake from chromed plastic.

Wasatch
10-21-2006, 10:46 AM
The tube is way to constrictive. I would just buy another filter as well.

HRD
10-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi rx7_FD,

It is quite obvious this is a APEX`i intake/element. It features a dry element unlike K&N and other cotton oil filters. Do not use the K&N recharger kit with this element. It is not cleanable per APEX`i Japanese instruction that come with the intake (I`ve owned APEX`i intakes in the past and speak/read fluent Japanese). If I remember correctly, APEXI`i`s instructions claim(ed) the filter to be good for about 20,000 kilometers in best conditions.

As has been suggested you can vacuum or gently blow air from inside/out the filter to remove loose impediments during the filters life, but once soiled it`s done and time to buy a replacement element from APEX`i.

Good luck,

Eliot Ness
10-21-2006, 12:25 PM
.......It is quite obvious this is a APEX`i intake/element. It features a dry element unlike K&N and other cotton oil filters. Do not use the K&N recharger kit with this element. It is not cleanable per APEX`i Japanese instruction that come with the intake (I`ve owned APEX`i intakes in the past and speak/read fluent Japanese). If I remember correctly, APEXI`i`s instructions claim(ed) the filter to be good for about 20,000 kilometers in best conditions..........Good info there HRD. The red hue on the filter made me think it *might* be a K&N. Glad you chimed in and cleared up that not all filters that *look* like a K&N can be cleaned and recharged. The only after market air filters I mess with are K&N`s, so that does limit my experience.

Accumulator
10-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Heh heh, HRD sure sounds like the voice of knowledge here :xyxthumbs

Even if it *were* a K&N type cleanable filter, I for one would weigh the cost of a new one against the time/hassle of cleaning up something that dirty.

Wasatch
10-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Get an Amsoil air filter then, or an AEM, both do not need to be re-charged like a K&N. Just a vacuum will do. They are dry filter`s. But neither filter will be at it`s optimum with that tube.