PDA

View Full Version : Oldie but Neubie

01SVT
04-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey Guys,

I`m in awe to see how much the Detailing Arena has advanced! I used to detail 10 years ago and stopped when i entered the corporate world. Now that I am married and have a mortgage, I`d like to start detailing again on the side. I prepped my 1.5 car garage with heating and A/C for those humid NY days. I thought i was ready to roll until i found this amazing website!

I have a couple of questions i`m hoping you pros can answer for me. I work with a variable speed Makita that i had replaced under warranty and haven`t used it since.

1. Back in the day i used to use 3m Products and they worked just great for me. I had the tan compound, grey and white polish and hand glaze. sorry i don`t remember the product numbers. Should I stay with 3m or go with another vendor?

2. I used to only have 2 pad types (7inch). 3m white pad for compunding and 3m grey pad for polishing. what other pads should i get and what do i used them for?

3. The wool pad...( i used to call it the wookie pad LOL!!) what is it`s primary use? I never really knew but i see some of you pros use them.

4. Microfiber towels.. What are they primarily used for? I used to us Mama`s good bathroom towels! :D

5. Lastly, is it worth it to buy a PC right now?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Boss_429
04-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Rob,

1. I also used many 3M products over the years. Back then, 3M products were a tad more difficult to use than say........ Meguiar`s products. However, I believe 3M has improved the user friendliness of their products. Still, with Menzerna polishes, Poorboy`s polishes, and Meguiar`s polishes, I really have no need to even investigate the 3M line.

2. There are so many great pads available today. Depending on what you work one, get a couple of cutting pads, several polishing pads, and a couple of finishing pads. You want to dedicate foam pads to a product, or very similar products. Also, make sure you get a tool to clean the pads as you are using them.

3. There are numerous types of wool pads... different ply’s, lambs wool finishing pads.... etc. Mainly, wool pads are used with extremely abrasive products for some serious "cutting/leveling" of the paint.

4. High quality MF towels are excellent! They can be used for anything from removing polishes, glazes, waxes, sealants, QD`ing, cleaning windows and a number of other uses. I also used 100% cotton towels for years and years........ don`t use them much anymore.

5. If you are comfortable with the rotary, you certainly don`t need a PC. However, a PC is great tool for the enthusiast who keeps his vehicles in good shape. With the PC, you don`t have to tape/cover everything to protect from splatter. On the other hand, a PC is not made for moderate/severe paint correction. I enjoy using mine, but when I need to get "serious" about my work, I grab one of my rotary buffers.

Hope this helps.

01SVT
04-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Rob,

1. I also used many 3M products over the years. Back then, 3M products were a tad more difficult to use than say........ Meguiar`s products. However, I believe 3M has improved the user friendliness of their products. Still, with Menzerna polishes, Poorboy`s polishes, and Meguiar`s polishes, I really have no need to even investigate the 3M line.

2. There are so many great pads available today. Depending on what you work one, get a couple of cutting pads, several polishing pads, and a couple of finishing pads. You want to dedicate foam pads to a product, or very similar products. Also, make sure you get a tool to clean the pads as you are using them.

3. There are numerous types of wool pads... different ply’s, lambs wool finishing pads.... etc. Mainly, wool pads are used with extremely abrasive products for some serious "cutting/leveling" of the paint.

4. High quality MF towels are excellent! They can be used for anything from removing polishes, glazes, waxes, sealants, QD`ing, cleaning windows and a number of other uses. I also used 100% cotton towels for years and years........ don`t use them much anymore.

5. If you are comfortable with the rotary, you certainly don`t need a PC. However, a PC is great tool for the enthusiast who keeps his vehicles in good shape. With the PC, you don`t have to tape/cover everything to protect from splatter. On the other hand, a PC is not made for moderate/severe paint correction. I enjoy using mine, but when I need to get "serious" about my work, I grab one of my rotary buffers.

Hope this helps.

Wow, Great information! I didn`t know there was a tool for cleaning the pads. What is this tool called?

I`m gonna hold off on the PC for now until i get reaquainted with the wheel. i printed out some great information on it. I`ll have to get one before summer is out though...

Wow, Great information! I didn`t know there was a tool for cleaning the pads. What is this tool called?

I`m gonna hold off on the PC for now until i get reaquainted with the wheel. i printed out some great information on it. I`ll have to get one before summer is out though...
also, Do you own a Boss 429?

Boss_429
04-10-2005, 06:00 PM

Do you own a Boss 429?
Glad you like the info. The tool is called a pad conditioner or something like that. I still call them spurring tools. Some of the new ones are made for use with foam pads.

Nope, I don`t have a Boss 429....... However, I drove one, and detailed it many times over the years. Now I want a new 2006 Shelby Mustang. :D

01SVT
04-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Glad you like the info. The tool is called a pad conditioner or something like that. I still call them spurring tools. Some of the new ones are made for use with foam pads.

Nope, I don`t have a Boss 429....... However, I drove one, and detailed it many times over the years. Now I want a new 2006 Shelby Mustang. :D

Must have been one hell of a ride. I want a shelby also!! I have a 2001 Cobra Convertible. She hauls ass but nothing like it`s successor! she``ll be paid off by the end of this year so hopefully she`ll make a great down payment for the Shebly! :rolleyes:

Boss_429
04-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Yep, the guy that owned the Boss also owned a 67 Cobra 427SC. I got to drive and detail both of them. The Cobra was REALLY one hell of a ride! :D