PDA

View Full Version : bad hood repaint - what can my friend do?

ksig113
10-20-2006, 06:06 PM
So a buddy of mine recently had his hood on his G35 repainted 3 weeks ago because of an accident. I don`t think that he ever noticed how bad his hood was. Is there a way I can help him remove these swirls, or is he screwed? Will an abrasive polish help remove these? thanks for your help.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/ksig113/pics3106.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/ksig113/pics3103.jpg

imported_paradigm
10-20-2006, 06:20 PM
sure...it just looks like typical (but bad) rotary holograms...not necessarily a bad paint job. i took out ones just as bad with a PC, orange pad, and OC or OHC.

Grimm
10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Heck, my hood looked worse after a bad claybar experience and I got it out easy with OHC and orange pad.

RTexasF
10-20-2006, 07:52 PM
The subpar surface can be corrected with the right products, equipment, and procedures.

imported_MCA
10-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Typical dealer installed rotary holograms. Some repaints are soft for while after application so you might want to tackle these soon - of course, some repaints get really hard after a short period. In any case, polish but do not top with any LSP that is not bodyshop safe or it will interfere with the outgassing process. Ask the painter how long it takes for the repaint to fully cure (60 days? 90 days?).

highside107
10-21-2006, 12:04 AM
^^ I was always told the paint would be cured in 30 days. I asked because I had my front bumper and hood repainted and wanted to put a clearbra on ASAP. Was told to wait 3-4 weeks for the paint to cure before I put on the clearbra or else if I tried taking the clearbra off a year or two down the line it would rip the paint off with it. I was also told that letting your paint bake in the sun would accelerate the cure time as wel. Don`t know how much sun there is now in October though, lol.

But yeah, that hood definitely looks repairable.

Zrex61
10-21-2006, 12:46 AM
It left the shop looking like that??? I assume it was a freebie & he didn`t actually pay some clown to paint it?