PDA

View Full Version : New guy - tar problem

JeffV
10-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I`ve been hovering around for a while, I thought it was time for my first post. I`ve always been what I considered a "car care" guy. I`ve gotten used to all the car care guy comments, "You`re gonna wash the paint off that car" and "Can you do mine next". I`ve always used reasonably good car care products and keep my car immaculate. However, since I started surfing Autopia, I`ve learned so much more about car care and new products, I feel like an amatuer. I`ve already ordered stuff from Zaino, Finish Kare, Optimum and Duragloss and started using some of them. Most impressive results and easy to use. Just wanted to take a second to thank everyone for their recommendations and opinions.

Anyway, on to my conundrum. My road was repaved recently using some kind of Slurry Seal process instead of regular black top. Even though I waited twice as long as what was stated as the drying time for this c!@p, I still wound up with tar balls all inside my wheels and on the underside of the car. Anyone have any recommendations on the best means for removal?

Thanks much.

wannafbody
10-20-2006, 04:21 PM
in wheel wells I`d use a solvent like mineral spirits or Wd-40. On paint I`d try ZPC.

58fury
10-20-2006, 08:19 PM
First off welcome, RE tar, id suggest claying, other than that, go with what above mentioned

Dan
10-20-2006, 08:50 PM
I`ve gotten used to all the car care guy comments, "You`re gonna wash the paint off that car" and "Can you do mine next".

What is with the can you do mine next comment? I get that WAY too often... need a good response as "Can I do your wife next?" might not fly.... :chuckle:

With the tar... sounds like you want a quick solution to the underside.... if a powerwasher won`t break it off you are going to need to start with the weakest cleaner and work to the strongest. Weakest is probably AW (alcohol + water) then move on to the tar cleaners like tarminator and then heavy solvents.

Joshua312
10-20-2006, 09:01 PM
WD-40 go around the car and spray it on the tar...by the time you get back around just wipe it off with a designated towel. Should come right off for you

Light-Zone
10-21-2006, 09:21 AM
I don`t know for sure if Klasse AIO will work, but I`ve used a similar product from Germany called Gollit. It too is an AIO cleaner sealant. I`ve used Gollit to remove road tar by applying it liberally and massaging it into the tar/paint using a foam applicator pad. Maybe Klasse will work in the same fashion. Atleast it will be less agressive than a petroleum thinner type product.

steelwind101
10-21-2006, 04:48 PM
AUTOGLYM tar remover is the best tar remover i know off!!

APply to a little yellow foam pad gentle rub and watch is come off in seconds.

BigAl3
10-21-2006, 04:55 PM
What is with the can you do mine next comment? I get that WAY too often... need a good response as "Can I do your wife next?" might not fly.... :chuckle:

a quick way to quite them is to say, "sure, i can use the extra money"....

285ferrari
10-21-2006, 09:44 PM

I`ve done that before---and now do about 10 neighbors cars per month!!

imported_Padron
10-21-2006, 09:58 PM

I used that before too, but the guy was a cheapskate...... :nixweiss

fdizzle
10-21-2006, 10:07 PM
some people . . . trying to get handouts. . . .

what everyone else said . . . i have also had luck using 3M adhesive remover when my car-oriented bug and tar remover failed. ill also contribute to the WD-40 recomendations . . . its really cheap too . . .