PDA

View Full Version : Will wax build up

PhaRO
10-19-2006, 08:18 PM
If for instance you washed your car and waxed it with say p21s each week. I suspect after a certain point (several coats) the wax isn`t going to build any more that you`d be just maintaining a level. Curious to know if I am wrong.

Wasatch
10-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes, you can wax too much. After 3-4 layer`s it`s time to polish/glaze it off, and start over, but this is just me.

White95Max
10-19-2006, 09:07 PM
With some less-durable waxes, the solvents are going to be stronger than the durability of the previous coat. That means you`ll dissolve the wax with each subsequent application.

Sealants are generally more durable, and can withstand the solvents of subsequent applications, therefore allowing layering to occur.

David Fermani
10-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Yes, you can wax too much. After 3-4 layer`s it`s time to polish/glaze it off, and start over, but this is just me.

I`m not sure if I agree with you on this. I`m not one for applying multiple coats of wax, but I don`t see any problems with bulding up your wax. You can only layer it so much before it`s useless. I don`t think you`d want to remove it with a glaze or polish, especially one which contains wax because you creating more build up. I`d definately not want to use ANY kind of product with abbrasives either. I`d let it wear off before trying to remove it.

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I`d definately not want to use ANY kind of product with abbrasives either. I`d let it wear off before trying to remove it.

Why not??

Other than a chemical cleaner (IPA, AIO, etc...)I don`t think there is any other way that is near as effective. IMO just letting it wear off wont give you a 100% bare paint surface, if your strictly using carnauba products than its not an issue, but for sealants it is a BIG deal.

As for the question at hand, I would think you can only get so many layers on before you start disturbing or rubbing off previous layers of wax. "Spit shining" was what quite a few people found as a way to get around that, it allows you to add more wax without disturbing previous layers.

Spit shining only works with Carnauba`s and, from my understanding, is only very effective with paste waxes.

David Fermani
10-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Why not??

Other than a chemical cleaner (IPA, AIO, etc...)I don`t think there is any other way that is near as effective. IMO just letting it wear off wont give you a 100% bare paint surface, if your strictly using carnauba products than its not an issue, but for sealants it is a BIG deal.

Explain why an abbrasive polish is necessary for removing wax. Why would anyone want to do all that work(possibly damaging to the finish) instead of wiping their vehicle down with wax and grease remover or IPA? Wouldn`t the path of least resistance be the best and in the case of removing wax the easiest/quickest? I`ve used several paint sealants and I`ve never had to use it on bear paint. It didn`t require it. Maybe with the Zaino`s way of thinking, but not with "most paint sealants". After polishing with a wax contained product, I`ve paint sealed it many times with great results. I just think that most paint sealant`s performance is not too reliant on a wax free finish. Am I wrong? Or are the manufacturers for not labeling/explaining their product properly? :soscared:

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-20-2006, 08:10 AM
If for instance you washed your car and waxed it with say p21s each week. I suspect after a certain point (several coats) the wax isn`t going to build any more that you`d be just maintaining a level. Curious to know if I am wrong.

No, you are not wrong. You can wax your car as many times as you want and the wax will continue to build until it begins to maintain a certain level. You can then continue the regime indefinitely.

imported_Larry A
10-20-2006, 08:59 AM
It always seemed to me that the more you waxed your car , the more you had too. You clean and wax your car, dirt and polutens get into the soft wax on your car.You cant see it with your eyes. You put on more wax , more polutens land on your wax. You add more wax etc etc. In time you have a coat of dirty wax on your paint.I would say 2 to 3 coats of wax , thats it..

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Explain why an abbrasive polish is necessary for removing wax. Why would anyone want to do all that work(possibly damaging to the finish) instead of wiping their vehicle down with wax and grease remover or IPA? Wouldn`t the path of least resistance be the best and in the case of removing wax the easiest/quickest? I`ve used several paint sealants and I`ve never had to use it on bear paint. It didn`t require it. Maybe with the Zaino`s way of thinking, but not with "most paint sealants". After polishing with a wax contained product, I`ve paint sealed it many times with great results. I just think that most paint sealant`s performance is not too reliant on a wax free finish. Am I wrong? Or are the manufacturers for not labeling/explaining their product properly? :soscared:

I didn`t mean an abrasive was a dire necessity, in my personal experience there is usually light marring from washing, people brushing against the paint, etc ... which generally ends up in me using a very mild abrasive like OP. OP is gentle enough I have no reservations using it on my car 4-5 time a year every time I want a fresh coat of wax.

I mean using the least aggressive approach I completely agree with, but I usually find myself using an mild abrasive to keep my finish as perfect as possible. I don`t recommend using a rotary on yellow with EC or anything, just something gentle like a PC with a white pad and OP.

I was always under the impression that having the surface as clean as possible would lead to optimal bonding of the sealant, but Ive only had minor experience with one sealant (Zaino) and I used both a polish and chemical cleaner to ensure a clean bonding surface.