PDA

View Full Version : Can this dent/crease be repaired with PDR? (location of dent an issue)

highside107
10-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Just wanted to see what you guys thought about this dent/crease (as depicted by the red line in the picture) being removed by PDR (paintless dent removal)? The crease is barely noticeable, but it`s still there and bothers me. I read this on a dent removal shop`s website: "Of course there are few requirements before PDR can be performed on a vehicle. For example, the damaged area must be accessible by a factory opening and at least 2 inches away from any edges." Well as you guys can see from the pic, this area doesn`t look accessible by a factory opening and is probably a bit closer than 2 inches from the door edge. I still think it can be done by a professional who really knows what he`s doing though, but wanted to see everyone`s thoughts. Thanks!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m12/highside107/100_1302.jpg

SamIam
10-19-2006, 06:35 AM
I don`t know if there`s a factory opening, but I know I had a Mini Cooper S done that couldn`t be accessed by a factory opening, so they drilled a small hole in the side of the door opening, removed the dent, then put in a plug that laid flat and looked like something that could have come from the factory. Only could see it when you had the door open and it wasn`t obtrusive. It was about the size of a big q-tip on the end and laid flat. It was flat black and made of rubber. Didn`t bother me as much as the ding, which was totally removed, by the way.

Ikabob
10-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Very cool car . I don`t know about the answer to your question though. I can understand your dismay with having a dent like that. It would cause me sleepless nights, I`m sure. Take it to a reputible body shop is my recommendation, not a magical dent removal shop.

imported_Gears
10-19-2006, 07:35 AM
PDR is always a gamble. Its a gamble I would take to keep factory paint.

If PDR doesn`t work you can always go to a body shop later.

bjackson8
10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Ask around and find a good PDR guy. Take it to him and ask if he can do it. More than likely it won`t be a problem.

Someone recently left a nice softball size dent in my wifes Pilot. It was on a body line, so I was worried that it would not come out right. About an hours labor and $95 dollars and it came out almost perfect. If you know it was there, and look in the right light, you can see that the bodyline is not quite perfect. Otherwise, nobody will ever know that there was a dent.

PDR is a wonderful thing.

skoles
10-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I had some surprisingly good results with that Pops-A-Dent kit from Simonize.

It`s basically a glorified glue gun and some screws w/pads. While it did a good job pulling the large ones by itself, it did a much better job when I removed my door panel and pushed from the inside out while I had my dad work the puller. It`s not perfect now, but it`s about 80% better and a lot cheaper for a PDR shop to handle.

Look into it. Only cost me $20.

AMDin93103
10-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Ask around and find a good PDR guy. Take it to him and ask if he can do it. More than likely it won`t be a problem. . . .

PDR is a wonderful thing.

Someone in your area is a master, seek and repair. Don`t try it yourself. Don`t go to the phonebook. highside107, where do you live- Easy Bay?

David Fermani
10-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Someone in your area is a master, seek and repair. Don`t try it yourself. Don`t go to the phonebook. highside107, where do you live- Easy Bay?

I second that opinion. Don` do it yourself. Go to the BMW or Mercedes dealer and see who they use. I find that the PDR guys that do work for higher line vehicles are sometiimes better. You never know.