PDA

View Full Version : Waxing a snowboard

99blackSE
10-17-2006, 10:37 PM
So I was the local sports shop today looking at some hot waxes to use on my snowboard, as it needs a new waxing bad...

I have some Klasse AIO sitting in the garage and I was wondering if I could use that, as Klasse can be used on plastics... now if that applies to the plastic on a board surface I am not sure. Does anyone else snowboard and detail here?

I like the slickness of Klasse and it has decent durability, just not sure if it would be okay to do it on a snowboard...

imported_hadboosttroy
10-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Curious as well.

imported_flatstick
10-18-2006, 09:13 AM
So I was the local sports shop today looking at some hot waxes to use on my snowboard, as it needs a new waxing bad...

I have some Klasse AIO sitting in the garage and I was wondering if I could use that, as Klasse can be used on plastics... now if that applies to the plastic on a board surface I am not sure. Does anyone else snowboard and detail here?

I like the slickness of Klasse and it has decent durability, just not sure if it would be okay to do it on a snowboard...

Well I do snowboard and detail. I would not use the AIO on the bottom of your board. I have a top of the line iron and melt mine in. from there scrape off the excess and buff it smooth. the snowboard is porous and needs to have some wax actually fill in the voids and make it as even and smooth as possible. they do have teflon that you can apply over the wax but it does not last long if the snow is not very soft. also consider you will encounter ice and that will remove your layer a lot faster. I have used AIO on the top and it does keep the snow from sticking . be careful not to apply it where you will be resting your foot that is not strapped in, it will be very slick and you will take a digger. that would be very bad off a lift as you can imagine.

imported_Padron
10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
I agree with Flatstick, AIO on top of board only away from footrest...Stick with waxes for the bottom, there are also different wax mixtures for different conditions to keep in mind...

the other pc
10-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I ski, but the technology`s the same.

They do make "quick waxes" that apply to bases like a car wax. They`re really just meant to be used when your ride needs waxing bad but you can`t get it hot waxed immediately. Unlike car waxes on paint, ski/board hot waxes are actually absorbed into the base material (with sintered bases anyway, not with extruded bases) and work far better than any topical wax.

Get yourself an iron (old, heavy, metal-faced, "garage sale" irons work great), a scraper, a stick of wax and a stiff brush. It won`t cost much and you`ll be surprised how much nicer your machine rides.

Check out Tognar Toolworks (http://www.tognar.com/). It`s the closest thing to "Autopia for skiers/boarders."

PC.

imported_jaobrien6
10-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I would definitely never try this, personally.

As was mentioned, the p-tex base on the snowboard is very porous, and I would imagine that getting AIO in those pores would reduce their ability to accept wax in the future. I would not be willing to potentially ruin my base, just for the sake of experimentation. Ski and snowboard wax isn`t expensive, just get a good iron, and use the products that are known to work well.

IMO, this is the same as saying "Man, pledge really makes my coffe table shine. I bet it would look SWEET on my car!".

Check out Tognar Toolworks (http://www.tognar.com/). It`s the closest thing to "Autopia for skiers/boarders."

Indeed... this site has a ton of great info.

imported_Padron
10-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Great Site.....all I need, another place to spend more money...

99blackSE
10-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Wow I never knew bases were porous. Yup, that definately cancels that out then. Looks like I will be ordering some stuff from The House then. What do you guys all ride with?

brokentelephone
10-19-2006, 05:06 AM
Wow I never knew bases were porous. Yup, that definately cancels that out then. Looks like I will be ordering some stuff from The House then. What do you guys all ride with?

I would buy a wax that is temperature dependant. Makes a HUGE difference if the conditions aren`t great (not sure where ur riding or the temp). i used to be a ski racer and can tell you that nothing slows u down more than a cold wax on a warm day.

regards

imported_Shaun Carollo
10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Swix F4 I think? I bought it last year for boarding in northern MI, this wax is THE ****! better than souveran on a car!