PDA

View Full Version : another newbie-cleanser question

A627T
04-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Newbie is total understament but hopefully I will be a quick study.

Just bought a 2001 Audi with black paint. When I QD it fills the scratches in with a nice white residue. What is the best way to remove and replace with something that doesn`t highlight the scratches?

Nickc0844
04-08-2005, 09:38 AM
That is weird A627T, what QD are you working with? If it leaves white residue, it sounds like it contains a bit of carnuaba into it; makes me think it`s like a quick wax :dunno

My suggestion if you don`t like it...discontinue the use of it and find yourself another quality Detail Spray/quick detailer. Also, when is the last time you ran a paint cleaner/polish on the car? That step, which should be done a few times a year, would definitely help in removing the residue that is on the car presently.

Great to have you here on DC :welcome

JaredPointer
04-08-2005, 09:42 AM
The best way to remove the scratches would be with machine polishing, however, these sound like they`re pretty deep. Can you catch them with your fingernail? If so, they might not be too fix-able. You might have to settle with "filling them in."

I agree with Nick about finding another QD spray. Maybe get something like Poorboy`s S&G or Adam`s Detail Spray.

Oh, and :welcome to DC.

A627T
04-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Nick/Jared,

Thanks for the quick reply, info and welcome. I will switch detail spray. What paint cleasner/polish would you suggest?

thanks,

Steve

JaredPointer
04-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Abrasive polishes - Poorboy`s SSR line. Meg`s ScratchX is also a decent swirl remover that can be found locally.

Chemical cleaner polish - Adam`s Revive. Meg`s ColorX is also a very good polish that can be found locally as well.