PDA

View Full Version : SG users! what do you layer over it

ashsarna
10-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I plan on trying some Klasse SG as the base (after preping/polishing). Two things: (1) do I need to have AIO or can I go straight to SG in this situation?

(2) I would like to layer it with something for the winter, but giving it a less glassy look than SG gives. What have you used that make dark colors really pop? I have always used carnaubas over sg. Can i use sealants over it like Blackfire, DG 501 ect?

Thanks.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-17-2006, 12:07 PM
I plan on trying some Klasse SG as the base (after preping/polishing). Two things: (1) do I need to have AIO or can I go straight to SG in this situation?

(2) I would like to layer it with something for the winter, but giving it a less glassy look than SG gives. What have you used that make dark colors really pop? I have always used carnaubas over sg. Can i use sealants over it like Blackfire, DG 501 ect?

Thanks.

1...i would recommend using AIO before SG because AIO cleans up the paint nicely and SG "sticks" better over AIO.... you can however skip AIO and go with SG after polishing the paint

2...i usually layer SG with a carnauba (p21s, meg`s, etc...) i don`t see why you couldn`t layer blackfire over SG... idk about DG 501

Accumulator
10-17-2006, 12:15 PM
I too always apply my KSG over AIO.

The only topper I`d consider for winter is Collinite. Durability trumps looks in nasty weather (just IMO). Never tried applying BF or UPP to KSG, but judging how they don`t like application over some other products I`d be leery. But OTOH some people have layered UPP with KSG and they said it worked great :nixweiss If UPP works this way I`d expect BF to work too.

ashsarna
10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I have several lsp to choose from for the winter that I am trying to maybe combine their qualities if possible. I like to keep SG as the base (after preping with AIO, running low, and prep work) and then top with a durable lsp that would also give me the wet/slick look. Maybe DG 105 will do?

imported_steveo3002
10-18-2006, 11:33 AM
ive always gone aio, sg then collinte....but this year im gona try 5 layers of sg and see how it lasts

Gaz
10-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I topped 4 layers of SG with Collinite 845. I didn`t expect it too look as good as it does.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-18-2006, 11:35 AM
ive always gone aio, sg then collinte....but this year im gona try 5 layers of sg and see how it lasts

3 layers of SG lasted fine for about half a year including a rought chicago winter... it was still good but i decided to detail my car so... new layers went on

ashsarna
10-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Ok you guys got me. I will, at least for one of the three cars, go AIO/SGx. I have no collonite (next time ;-)), but alot of other options to try.

spotter
10-19-2006, 08:29 AM
When you get the urge to top it I would recommend a wash and another layer of SG. 3 or more layers of SG will surprise you how good it looks and holds up after several months.

foxtrapper
10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
There`s no chemical magicry in AIO that I`m aware of. While the two work well as a two-step process, it`s not necessary. An acrylic polymer applied directly to a surface will do its cross linking magic no matter what. It is important that the surface be well prepped, as you want it sticking to the paint, not to something like dirt or oxidation that`s going to come off, carrying the SG with it.

No reason you couldn`t top SG with any coating of your choice, as long as it isn`t a solvent to SG. Personally, I was very surprised at how good NXT looks over it. The combination looks better then either product seperately. Some others have noted this as well.

imported_Lightman
10-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I always do a layer of AIO before SG. I guess I was under the impression it made it `stick` better too..maybe because I read the bottles and Klasse suggests it, or from what I`ve read here. All I can say is the combo produces nice results. I can`t imagine much would last longer than an additional layer of sg, however lots of folks here use toppers of sorts to improve the look. I did liquid souveran over a aio/sg application last week and it looked great, but I`m not sure how much different it looked..it already looked awesome after aio/sg.

Super_Herb
10-19-2006, 01:53 PM
I think using AIO is a good practice, as it`ll make sure that the paint is clean before the SG. Sure, it`s not strictly necessary, but unless you know your paint is clean, you`ll risk the SG layer durability. I don`t know about you, but SG isn`t so fun to apply that I`m willing to risk skipping AIO and have to redo the SG early.

I`ve pretty much always topped my SG with a carnuba too. I just prefer the look to SG alone and I enjoy putting a new coat of wax on periodically. I`ve never thought to try another sealant on top of SG. Interesting. Let us know how it works.

klnyc
10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
AIO plus SG = happy.

my 2cents, i always have problem layering KSG(need to wait). I hate that part.

Now im on Zaino(zfx`d) and lovin it :)