PDA

View Full Version : temperature for polishing ?

gav'spurplez
10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
i know i have seen / heard / read about the temps for waxing and stuff.

the temperature of the painted surface should be 45 / 50 and up for proper bonding........

but, what about polishing ??

obvisously polishing when it is 20 degrees outside is a silly idea, but i might havea detail this coming saturday and the weather looks to be low 50s,

so, what should i expect ??

David Fermani
10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I doubt you`ll see any really performance differences in exterior detailing. Drying times are different when it`s hot and humid, but cold weather is no big deal. I really enjoyed detailing in cold weather. Less smearing and smudging.

Wasatch
10-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I usually do not detail under 35, but some people do. Low 40`s, washing kinda sucks. QDs do not perform to well also under 45-50.

fdizzle
10-16-2006, 10:33 PM
man where the hell do you people live ? . . . I start B*&^ing wen its below 60 . . . . then again, im a wuss and live in Cali . .

paul34
10-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Let me tell ya... such a chore out here in Florida having to wash the car in 72 degree weather in shorts and a t-shirt! :p

lol I actually thought the water was too cold...

01bluecls
10-16-2006, 11:05 PM
I pretty much shut down my major detailing when day time temps are averging less than 45 deg F.

LeadingEdgeDetail
10-16-2006, 11:10 PM
I gotta close for 4 months of the year if that`s the case :sosad

Its getting down to near freezing overnight now.... But still 15C during the day :)

CalgaryDetail
10-16-2006, 11:36 PM
15C in the day were are you living. Im in calgary and we had a nice warm day at 1C. I wish it was 15. I find that when it gets to cold my hands freeze but have never had a problem with the actuall product

paul34
10-16-2006, 11:57 PM
so for you guys, even ONR is impossible, right? (unless you all have heated garages to work in)

fdizzle
10-17-2006, 01:37 AM
wow i am so glad i live in a comfortable climate . . . but to each his own i suppose. Many of you are very bold to detail a car below 50 degrees - I would be in bed watching season long re-runs of 24 . . .

coupe
10-17-2006, 06:32 AM
You guys that live in warmer areas are.............weak lol j/k

I have washed my vehicles in under 35 degree weather many times.

Its painful on the hands.........really really painful.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
It is a fact that many product manufacturers recommend no less than 45 to 50 degrees for proper application. However, you will find that as long as the humidity levels are low enough, there really should not be a problem with drying and proper bonding.

This time of year, weather in the low 50s is ideal for both polishing and waxing. Of course, you may want to consider wearing gloves. However, most products will work just fine out there in those temperatures.

gav'spurplez
10-17-2006, 09:14 AM
You guys that live in warmer areas are.............weak lol j/k

I have washed my vehicles in under 35 degree weather many times.

Its painful on the hands.........really really painful.

i remember washing the family cars when i was younger with my dad,

3-5 5 gallon buckets af warm water and a butter cup.

2 wash buckets, and we would go to town.

yes, it was cold, i remember washing the cars one morning and the water froze on the wheels, we thought, we might need another 5 degrees in temps next time :lol

thanks for the replies guys,

i should be ok.

although they are now calling for rain, so that might do me in :aww: