PDA

View Full Version : does polishing remove clearcote?

trhland
10-16-2006, 03:29 PM
polishing with foam pads does it removeany clearcote?

Envious Eric
10-16-2006, 03:32 PM
yes it does....the aggressiveness of the polish and the pad combo will dictate how much....

imported_GregCavi
Yes any polishing you do removes a very minute amount of clear coat. Not to worry though. Unless your doing very heavy polishing you should fear about going through the CC to the primer.

Greg

CalgaryDetail
It depends lol. There are 2 types of polishes. Chemical (or filler) and abrasive. Filler polishes just fill in the scratches and swirls, they dont slove the problem reeally they just hide it. Abrasive polishes on the other hand cut down the clear and make it smooth So you are taking very tiny amounts of clear off with each pass. It also depends on thebad. A cutting pad wil take of clear becase thats what its designed to do, however if you use a finishing pad it should.

CalgaryDetail
10-16-2006, 03:33 PM
It depends lol. There are 2 types of polishes. Chemical (or filler) and abrasive. Filler polishes just fill in the scratches and swirls, they dont slove the problem reeally they just hide it. Abrasive polishes on the other hand cut down the clear and make it smooth So you are taking very tiny amounts of clear off with each pass. It also depends on thebad. A cutting pad wil take of clear becase thats what its designed to do, however if you use a finishing pad it should.

trhland
10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
thanks for the replys .i just bought an of f350 and polished it with a green pad then went to blue .i clayed it before i did all of this .it looks great but if the sun hite it end you ook really close you can see little micro scraches very little . other then that it looks great. as picky as i am im going to leave it the way it is . i used a dual head polisher when i did all of this .what would i have to do to make it totoly flaw less ?high speed polisher. the trucks so new i hate to go crazy on it

lemans23
10-16-2006, 04:02 PM
You need a finer polish to remove those annoying little marks :)

trhland
10-16-2006, 04:06 PM
ive been useing optimum polish .

Accumulator
10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
trhland- First I`d determine if the little scratches are old ones that didn`t get removed (need a more aggressive approach) or new ones from what you did last (need a *less* aggressive approach).

The good news is that since the truck is new it probably hasn`t been polished much yet, so the clear is nice and thick, so you can afford to work it some more.

But something to consider: do you have your wash/dry regimen down pat so that once you *get* it perfect, you can *keep* it perfect? I`m a fanatic about wash technique, so that`s what always comes to mind...

trhland
10-17-2006, 02:31 PM
trhland- First I`d determine if the little scratches are old ones that didn`t get removed (need a more aggressive approach) or new ones from what you did last (need a *less* aggressive approach).

The good news is that since the truck is new it probably hasn`t been polished much yet, so the clear is nice and thick, so you can afford to work it some more.

But something to consider: do you have your wash/dry regimen down pat so that once you *get* it perfect, you can *keep* it perfect? I`m a fanatic about wash technique, so that`s what always comes to mind...

thanks accumulater for the reply. ya i aways rinse the truck first then wash it and dry it with always micro towels. and when i do the rims and tires i always use and extra bucket and brush.