PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Engine Compartment

rwh
10-16-2006, 07:51 AM
I`m in the process of detailing my engine compartment for an upcomming show. As you all know, there are ALOT of areas that are hard to get to. I was looking for those long Q-tip type cleaning items to get into some of those hard to reach areas. Any body know where I can purchase them? I`m also open to any suggestions. Thanks guys!!!!!!!!

audicoupej
10-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Paint brushes work well for cleaning and those foam brushes, for applying stain to wood, work for dressing specific parts instead of spraying everything.

imported_fishbonezken
10-16-2006, 08:44 AM
This could be what you are looking for...

http://www.properautocare.com/ezdetailbrush.html

velobard
10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Are you looking for these foam swabs?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=10226

I`ve seen them elsewhere, but found them the quickest at Griots.

Accumulator
10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Danase has those big foam swabs, I`d buy `em from him.

Note that they don`t last all that long, the foam tears at the tip, so get plenty.

I did get my other swabs from Griot`s, I use all different kinds when I do engine compartments. I also use brushes and bits of rag that I hold with my pickup tool (a spring loaded "claw" at the end of a long flexible rod), that thing`s great for reaching down into really inaccessible areas.

The EZ brush is good to have on hand, but IMO it`s only for the initial, really rough cleanups where you`re agitating thick greasy messes and not to the point of getting down to fine details.

No matter what kind of work light I use (halogen- watch the heat, fluorescent- the little ones are great for this) I still always find a good, bright flashlight comes in handy. I use one that I can easily hold in one hand, not a huge spotlight type one; my SureFire M4 is about as big as I`d want and my smaller SureFires are often a lot handier.

rwh
10-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. Have a great day!!!!!

clean 02
10-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Here`s what I do for underhood detailing: Spray Simple Green over the entire engine compartment. If underhood isn`t really dirty or greasy you won`t even have to scrub it. Let it sit about a minute, then take a hose and rinse it, trying to avoid electrical components like the alternator, computer, etc and air intake. Let compartment dry. I use Adam`s VRT and IN & Out Spray once it is dry. Apply VRT with a detailing sponge to the large surfaces and spray In & Out on all of the hoses and areas you can`t reach with the VRT. It comes up great every time with little work. Heres a link to Adam`s- www.adamspolishes.com

If you have any other deatailing questions, don`t hesitate to PM me. Hope I could help- Brian

Bob G
10-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I work on alot of high end European automobiles at my shop. Some of the older ferrari models Have an area inbetween the cam towers that can puddle very quickly if not carefull. A friend of mine who works for a BMW dealer told me they use a solvent gun hooked to air and warm water. this keeps too much water from acumulating on expensive electrical components and also froces grime away from the surface . I have used this method many times and fine it works well. I follow with compressed are and a none dimethel silone dressing lightly wiped on and buffed on the plastic and rubber components. Engines could not look better unless disasembled by hand.

Bob Geco

clean 02
10-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Bob G, you`re right on being extra careful with the foreign cars compartments. They have a lot more intelligence under their hoods. I did`nt mention that in my previous post.

Accumulator
10-17-2006, 11:59 AM
.. A friend of mine who works for a BMW dealer told me they use a solvent gun hooked to air and warm water. ..

I haven`t used that for ages, always seemed cumbersome to me and I had to watch I didn`t get overspray on everything. Might work great for somebody else though.

It`s not just exotics that have areas that`ll retain water either, my Mazda minivan has all sorts of spots like that under the hood, takes forever to get all the water out of `em (each time I wash :rolleyes: ). Something everybody oughta look out for, good that you mentioned it :xyxthumbs

Here`s what I do for underhood detailing: Spray Simple Green over the entire engine compartment....

Glad you`ve found what works well for you, but no Simple Green around *my* vehicles! It can permanently discolor aluminum and plastics...I don`t even use it for undercarriages any more. P21S TAW and citrus-based engine cleaners work just as well without damaging anything. Somebody just posted about Simple Green bleaching colored plastic the other day...

mose
10-17-2006, 12:22 PM
So back in the "old days" (70`s) before there were computers to worry about all we did was put a plastic bag over the carbuerator and alternator and go to town with a pressure wand. Then spend an hour or so wiping the engine compartment down. If it was really greasy then we used degreaser as well. With todays engine compartments having so much stuff in them is there anything that needs to be covered when spraying it down? Can a citurs based degreaser be used on an engine compartment? What do you use to spray it down.......just a hose?

BlueLibby04
10-17-2006, 01:56 PM
I usually dont even use a degreaser.. I just mix up a bucket of soap and use a little scrub brush to get all the areas that need a little cleaning. I dont like the idea of a harsh cleaner around all the wires and connectors.. :eek: Then again my engine is never really dirty..

After a good cleaning and a coat of Megs ASD..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/jeepjeepster/IMG_4-10.jpg

Accumulator
10-17-2006, 02:23 PM
With todays engine compartments having so much stuff in them is there anything that needs to be covered when spraying it down? Can a citurs based degreaser be used on an engine compartment? What do you use to spray it down.......just a hose?

There are some things you probably shouldn`t get too wet (ECUs, etc.) and some model-specific things too (the Opti-spark ignition on GMs), but *generally*, and just *IMO*, you don`t have to be too worried as long as you don`t go nuts and blast stuff with the hose. I get things mighty wet on a regular basis and I`ve never had a problem, not one.

Like BlueLibby04, I get things nice and clean *once* and then just keep `em that way with mild approaches. Never have had to use anything strong on the ones I bought new.