PDA

View Full Version : Help Removing Deck/Fence Sealer from Convertible Top

imported_Totoland Mach
10-15-2006, 05:54 AM
One of my customers that I recently detailed an 04 Mustang GT Convertible (black) had an incident where her neighbor had a contractor spray the fence and deck with some type of nasty sealant. Needless to say, her car got a lot of spray carried by the wind to the entire body.

The sealant does NOT wash off....but I tried a spot on the paint with claybar and it does remove quite easily.

My question is: what to use on the nylon covertible top? Being a textured product, the deck sealant is really coated on the top.

Hopefully, someone can chime in. The contractor has business insurance and will be making a claim for a re-detail and removal of this stuff.

Thanks Folks!

Totoland Mach

David Fermani
10-15-2006, 09:21 AM
I had a friend that was in busness of sealing decks and would occasionally get overspray on his customers vehicles. I never found anything that was strong enough that removed the overspray without destroying the finish of the top. Good luck and post any useful fixes for this problem(that work).

SpoiledMan
10-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Have them contact the contractor to get the top replaced.

imported_Totoland Mach
10-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think the contractor`s business insurance is going to get a claim presented to them for a new top + removal of deck sealant from the paint and glass.

I did have a Ford tech offer a suggestion: He said to try mechanic`s Goop hand cleaner on a small spot of the convertible top. He`s used it for some real problem areas and said it just might work.

I`m going to try an area to see what happens.

Toto