PDA

View Full Version : Suede Cleaning - What to use to remove brake dust?

Sicarius123
10-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Oh yes this might sound *** and stupid, but my friend bought a pair of immaculate red suede Recaro SR3 reclinable seats for his GTR Skyline, then when he returned a couple of days later to pick them up the guy had removed his wheels straight before removing the seat, so there are black smudge marks on them from the brake dust.

Nobody locally seems to have any idea how to clean suede, if they were cloth seats we`d steam clean them but don`t think that would work too well with suede.

Any help with what type of products to use and methods would be greatly appreciated. These are awesome seats and we`d like to bring them back to their former glory.

Thanks heaps.

Dan.

imported_Grouse
10-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Is it suede or anclantara? Suede is a leather anclantara is man made and can be cleaned reasonably aggressively. I prefere doing both the same way i would sue Search for grouse and suede cleaning.

Sicarius123
10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
I honestly don`t know which it is? Is there an easy way to tell?

Dan.

imported_hadboosttroy
10-15-2006, 10:10 PM
My guess is alcantara. I know the old recaro srd`s were, so I am guessing these are the same. Check out the recaro website and see if you can find out.

Sicarius123
10-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Well their aftermarket stuff is Suede, but I have a strong hunch these are OEM from a JDM Type R integra so that would be alacantra.

Dan.

imported_hadboosttroy
10-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Well their aftermarket stuff is Suede, but I have a strong hunch these are OEM from a JDM Type R integra so that would be alacantra.

Dan.

you can still get aftermarket seats which are alcantara from recaro. If you have pictures you could post it would help.

imported_DC2R
10-16-2006, 05:52 AM
There Alacantra, all type R`s have alacantra. Hope there not stolen, these get stolen out of type r`s left and right here. I personally know of 4 friends who have had theres stolen.

But anyways Alacantra

Sicarius123
10-16-2006, 06:30 AM
There Alacantra, all type R`s have alacantra. Hope there not stolen, these get stolen out of type r`s left and right here. I personally know of 4 friends who have had theres stolen.

But anyways Alacantra

Nah the guy they came from buys all his stuff off Yahoo Japan. So many good bits coming from wrecks over there.

So how do you go about cleaning Alacantra? Is it as fidly as cleaning suede?

Dan.

imported_hadboosttroy
10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Nah the guy they came from buys all his stuff off Yahoo Japan. So many good bits coming from wrecks over there.

So how do you go about cleaning Alacantra? Is it as fidly as cleaning suede?

Dan.

I think Grouse has postings on this. And if I remember correctly, cleaning alcantara is NOT as bad as suede. You can be a bit more "agressive" with it.

Sicarius123
10-17-2006, 01:37 AM
So would you be able to steam clean alacantra? Since I`m seeing this as the easiest way to get this crap off.

Dan.

imported_DC2R
10-17-2006, 06:15 AM
I have heard of people steam cleaning it, but to date I have not found a good way to clean it.

imported_Grouse
10-17-2006, 09:05 AM
hot water extraction with a mild 7.5-9 ph detergent, then rinse with a mild 5.5-7 rinse agent.

Sicarius123
10-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Turns out they were Suede and not Alacantra.

Ended up giving them to a detailer mate of mine and paying AU$30 a seat to have them cleaned. Came up looking brand spanking new.

Also decided it is impossible to take pictures of suede with my crappy digicam and have it look good :p

Dan.