PDA

View Full Version : HELP me - what am I doing wrong

ashsarna
10-14-2006, 07:30 PM
I am using my DA polisher (Dewalt 443) with my flat Edge pads. During the compounding/polishing process, THe polisher would not turn /not turn as fast anymore (I was not putting pressure on it and it would still not turn ). Is it because the pads are `caking`. I was doing it in the sun and 55 degrees weather (using Optimum Compound, IP among others).

Also, when I moved to my LCVC pads towards the end of the process they flew of my DA. I would put it back on and it would fly off in seconds. Why would that happen?

Thanks all.

metal
10-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Are you saying that it wouldn`t turn at all? I don`t think that`d be cus the pads were caking; what are the specs on that polisher? For the LCVC pads, maybe the velcro is worn down and not holding properly? Thats whats happened to a couple of my pads.

Accumulator
10-15-2006, 10:22 AM
I`m not familiar with the Dewalt 443 but I`ll assume it`s very similar to the PC.

I`m also assuming that the 443 behaves the way you want it to (both of the "dual action" movements) when you start out and then quits rotating after you`ve been polishing for a while.

As the pads get more and more satuated with product they`ll get heavier, so *maybe* that`s what`s causing the lack of desired motion. If you`re using big pads it`ll compound the problem as most polishers *originally designed as sanders* are made to spin a single sheet of sandpaper, which weighs a *LOT* less than a big foam pad soaked with polish.

If the Dewalt is suitable for this kind of work, you might look into a smaller backing plate and some smaller pads.

The pads flying off is a velcro issue, either with the stuff on the back of the pad or the stuff on the backing plate. If other pads fly off too it`s the backing plate, if only that one LCVC one does it`s that pad. Whichever is causing the problem needs replaced.

ashsarna
10-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys,

A clarification - initially the 443 (similar to the pc) would rotate and `jiggle`. At higher speeds the rotation and `jiggle` would obviously be increased. However, after maybe a minute the rotation would stop, the `jiggle` would continue. Intermitently the rotation would come back at a much slower pace (when I either swirt some qd). Even if I srub the pad, this scenario would continue :( . I even held the DA in the air and still would not see the rotation.

Secondly, yes it was the LCVC pads that had the issue. Thanks on thst tip Accumulator.

Accumulator
10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Ah, the old "it just jiggles" issue :think2

That *is* a matter of just overloading the machine`s ability to do the rotation. Get a smaller backing plate and some 4" pads and it will do both motions (if it`s anything like the PC, which I`d sure expect).

Note that this is the basic shortcoming of using a "sander/polisher" for the auto detailing application and one of the advantages of a purpose-built polisher like the Cyclo.

Eliot Ness
10-15-2006, 06:08 PM
I wonder if your 443 has a motor problem. The Dewalt is supposed to have a heavier motor than the PC and not as prone to bogging down:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49723

You might want to PM turbomangt, he has had one for a while and really seems to like it.

Get a smaller backing plate and some 4" pads and it will do both motions (if it`s anything like the PC, which I`d sure expect).I don`t think that is possible with the 443..... the BP is attached with screws and I don`t recall anyone offering a different size BP for it.... except for the custom made 5" BP (http://autopia.org/forum/showpost.php?p=570470&postcount=16) the member from Malaysia found.

ashsarna
10-17-2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks all,

I took the advice and pm several 443 users. So far it seems that this is similar to their experience. However, since I have a Dewalt repair shop locally, I gave my 443 to get checked (its still under warranty :o ).

Accumulator
10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Let us know what the shop tells you.