View Full Version : OCW streaking ?

gav'spurplez
10-14-2006, 02:07 PM
washed 3 of the 4 family cars today and since it is getting colder,

i applied ocw to each of them.

moms solara - ok

dads durango - ok

my DD sentra - streaks. :nixweiss

maybe not so much streaking but smearing ?? i noticed it on vertical and horizontal panels :o

just washed my mf`s, low soap, double rinse and no fabric softner,

maybe the towels have had it ??

opinions / suggestions

AL-53
10-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Gav...I found OCW to streak when the temps fall below 55..so i gave up on it for using during winter ...it also did not do well in the winter for me...did not last....salt tore it up

But to your problem..if it was cool out..then it would streak..at least for me it did...seemed like something solidified and caused streaking....

try putting the car in the sun to heat the paint some and see if that helps some...

AL

mrzeee
10-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Gav...I found OCW to streak when the temps fall below 55..so i gave up on it for using during winter ...it also did not do well in the winter for me...did not last....salt tore it up

AL

fellow massautopian here...not to hijack this thread but did duragloss do better for winter than OCW???

gav'spurplez
10-14-2006, 09:43 PM
al,

since moving, i have to wash the cars outside of the garage,

so all cars were washed in the sun. it was about 50 or so today,

but like i said, my parents cars were ok. and my sentra was in the sun the longest.

hearing that the salt tore it up is not good :(

i was hoping it would last as it states through the winter :mad:

Scottwax
10-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Were you regularly shaking the bottle?

gav'spurplez
10-15-2006, 07:53 AM
scott,

yes !!

i always give it a good but not crazy shake to mix the 2 parts,

then, a couple shakes here and there, maybe every panel or so, every other panel.

eh,

might be the temperature, :nixweiss

imported_Larry A
10-15-2006, 03:24 PM
fellow massautopian here...not to hijack this thread but did duragloss do better for winter than OCW???

It was 55 degrees today, and I put AW over a carnuba , and NO streaks at all.

AL-53
10-15-2006, 03:43 PM

Yes..the Duragloss did much better....OCW is a good product...but not for harsh New England weather with alot of salt...First year I tried OCW for winter use...over UPP...the salt just ate them up..beading stopped after 2 storms.....the next winter I did Klasse twins with collinite topper..held up great...was beading in May...the Honda I did Duragloss...and it was beading in May...AW can be used in 40 degree weather and no problems....and the salt just rinses off no effort...

I use OCW on the bike for the summer....does a good job for summer use here....

Gav..It is the temps...

Al

gav'spurplez
10-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes..the Duragloss did much better....OCW is a good product...but not for harsh New England weather with alot of salt...First year I tried OCW for winter use...over UPP...the salt just ate them up..beading stopped after 2 storms.....the next winter I did Klasse twins with collinite topper..held up great...was beading in May...the Honda I did Duragloss...and it was beading in May...AW can be used in 40 degree weather and no problems....and the salt just rinses off no effort...

I use OCW on the bike for the summer....does a good job for summer use here....

Gav..It is the temps...

Al

thanks for your insight,

i do not know if the new england storms are worse than chicagos,

but we do get snow and theres salt on the roads

might have to get some dg aw

Wasatch
10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Was looking to using it this winter coming, but I did not care for it using the sample bottle I had this summer. Also, I wanted something easy to apply for protection during the winter month`s, but it basically does not work under 50 degrees.

gav'spurplez
10-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Was looking to using it this winter coming, but I did not care for it using the sample bottle I had this summer. Also, I wanted something easy to apply for protection during the winter month`s, but it basically does not work under 50 degrees.

you are speaking about the ocw correct ?

AL-53
10-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Gav.....he was talking about the OCW..he had a post a while ago about a sample of OCW and did not care for it....

also our winters r basicly the same..lol...snow and more snow....the salt and magnesium they use is the real killer..now some places are using a liquid deicer...seen alot about it being used in the Mid West...hope this stuff is not worse..getting tuffer to keep winter from destroying the cars...lol..

Al

gav'spurplez
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Gav.....he was talking about the OCW..he had a post a while ago about a sample of OCW and did not care for it....

also our winters r basicly the same..lol...snow and more snow....the salt and magnesium they use is the real killer..now some places are using a liquid deicer...seen alot about it being used in the Mid West...hope this stuff is not worse..getting tuffer to keep winter from destroying the cars...lol..

Al

al,

not in my area,

still using good ole rock salt :(