PDA

View Full Version : Does claying take off wax?

KITT
10-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Just wondering if I waxed my car if claying takes any of that off?

BobD
10-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Just wondering if I waxed my car if claying takes any of that off?

It really depends on the aggresivness of the clay.

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2006, 07:25 AM
And how aggressively you do it.

KITT
10-14-2006, 07:38 AM
So the answer is "probably"

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2006, 07:41 AM
The conventional wisdom is yes, it does. But the advent of the mild clays and Accumulator`s gentle/spot claying technique makes the answer "not necessarily", I guess.

DrSauekraut
10-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Me personally, I would re-wax to be certain :)

Accumulator
10-14-2006, 12:53 PM
If you clay (properly) with Sonus green/Ultra Fine you shouldn`t remove an appreciable amount of LSP. Even just claying through *Meg`s #5* took a little bit of doing!

It`s easy to miss a speck of contamination when refreshing the LSP...oops, you waxed over top of it and now you`ve gotta rectify the situation. This lead to my Claying vs. LSP Experiment:

Find a little mild contamination that you`d like to clay off- I like using a mild, smooth stain that doesn`t have much of a "tooth" for the clay to contact/shear off. Apply some LSP over top of the contamination so you`ve "sealed the contamination under your LSP". Then see how much claying it takes to a) cut through the LSP and get to the contamination and then b) clay off the contamination leaving cleaned paint. This will give you a feel for how aggressive your combination of clay and technique really is.

fdizzle
10-14-2006, 01:04 PM
thats a great idea . . . . props

David Fermani
10-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Auto Magic claims that their Blue Clay Magic does not remove wax. I regularly clay my car between waxes and have never experienced any change of protection or finish deviation. My answer is no.

rx7_FD
10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
does meguirs clay bar remove wax?

Wasatch
10-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Have some Menzerna AJ on the paint, about a month old. This weekend I clayed with Black Fire clay, to me it looked alot cleaner and glossier after I was done, almost to the point where I didn`t need to put anything on, but I did because I need the protection for the winter. So I guess I would also say no it does not remove wax or a sealant.