PDA

View Full Version : question about glazes with a lot of fillers

Pages : [1] 2

superchargedg
10-13-2006, 05:13 PM
i have a friend of mine that wants me to do a semi detail.he dosent want me to use any polishes thet have abrasives in them,his dad still tells him they will destroy his paint.anywho what products out there will fill in very minor swirls and what looks like micro scratches.his paint isnt in real bad shape,i could take menzerna ip and probably clean it up but.......he wont let me since i told him what it did for me.he knows it has abrasives, any suggestions.

fdizzle
10-13-2006, 05:53 PM
he needs to spend a few hours reading this forum and not listen to his dad, who is obviously has not done his homework on modern care care forumlas and products . . . :sadpace:

anyway, onto somthing that is actually helpful, so long as your client knows that his semi will still have scratches and defects in the paint (glazes cannot hide all of it - you know that, but he dosent) try somthing that has a ton of fillers, swirilbuster has fillers (sonius brand) and pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion has fillers aswell. i used it on a black 300c, and did a fairly impressive job hiding the defects . . . :think2

what a shame . . . get that boy into the modern world of safe, effective polish. :waxing:

firegate
10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Race Glaze and Autoglym SRP are nice one-steps with a lot of fillers in them.. as far as pure glazes, CG Omega Glaze is supposed to be very nice, and Clearkote RMG works well also.

the other pc
10-13-2006, 05:57 PM
How much do you really want to do this job?

Personally, I`d just walk away. I`d rather not do a job than do a half-#$%^& job that I know will look mediocre at best and bad after one wash.

If somebody came to me because he liked my work he should let me do my work. I can understand his not wanting to contradict his dad but if he wants his dad`s process he doesn`t need you for that.

If you want to do it as an experiment I guess there`s something to be learned. Just be sure there`s no way for anybody to blame the inevitable results on you.

PC.

fdizzle
10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
i wanted to say somthing like that but I thought it to be a bit harsh - but I couldent agree more . .. good point

Dan
10-14-2006, 07:51 AM
The Dupont Teflon Wax available at Wal-Mart is a great swirl filler. Doesn`t last through a rain storm, but man does it look great when just waxed. :D

superchargedg
10-14-2006, 08:31 AM
How much do you really want to do this job?

Personally, I`d just walk away. I`d rather not do a job than do a half-#$%^& job that I know will look mediocre at best and bad after one wash.

If somebody came to me because he liked my work he should let me do my work. I can understand his not wanting to contradict his dad but if he wants his dad`s process he doesn`t need you for that.

If you want to do it as an experiment I guess there`s something to be learned. Just be sure there`s no way for anybody to blame the inevitable results on you.

PC.

i know but he is a good buddy of mine,i decided just to tell him what to buy and let him do it.ill just be watching and drinking beer as i laugh myself to death.

Accumulator
10-14-2006, 12:18 PM
I`d think you could show him some objective info (maybe from the AutoInt website) about how much clear is safe to take off and how aggressive you have to get for that to happen. Unless there`s something wrong with him you should be able to educate him about the sensible use of abrasives. But maybe his dad`s a bigger factor than we might think; some people you just can`t talk to and when it`s a father/son situation there can be bigger issues at stake.

IF he just isn`t open to learning about this stuff, I don`t think that means the situation is hopeless. After all, cars with thin, original paint that can`t be corrected any more can still be made to look OK (gee, ask me how I know ;) ) so a vehicle with minor marring should do OK with something like a glaze/LSP combo. Even something as simple as a Meguiar`s "pure polish" topped with NXT oughta make for a big improvement.

I know somebody whose car *really* needs corrected in a huge way, but his frequent applications of NXT keep it looking, uhm....well, decent. *HE* thinks it looks a lot better than "decent" and hey, it`s his car so why should he care what *I* think :D I`ve seen how it looks unwaxed and I *will* say that putting the NXT on it helps a lot- it`s a simple solution that works for him. Blowing somebody off just because they say "no abrasives" seems a bit extreme to me, nothing wrong with just making things a bit better.

Let`s see...a pure polish topped with NXT topped with Collinite. That`d make it look a lot better and then there`s claying and paint cleaners, lots of stuff that would be beneficial. Why not help a buddy out ;)

imported_steveo3002
10-14-2006, 03:03 PM
you could always tip something into a plain bottle and tell him its glaze, its not like your going to trash his car with some #80 or somthing mild

superchargedg
10-14-2006, 03:03 PM
im gonna help him i decided im gonna take some of my ip and put it in a ol turtle wax container i have.i also have some old mothers wax that im gonna clean out and put some fpII in.we are going to drink a few brews tonight watching the race,and ill tell him about this place.i think he wants to learn its just his dad is so old school about everything thats its funny to even talk to him.i think he still thinks cars a painted with laquer.

Accumulator
10-15-2006, 10:57 AM
I`m gonna risk sounding like a complete [jerk] here and post a :nono about putting an abrasive product in another bottle and tricking somebody into using it. If the deception itself doesn`t bother you, and the whole bypassing of intelligent discussion and rejection of personal preferences doesn`t bother you either, then just what if (OK, it`s unlikely but...) the abrasive causes some issue?

I like the idea of getting him to check out Autopia a lot better :xyxthumbs

94BlkStang
10-15-2006, 11:19 AM
i know but he is a good buddy of mine,i decided just to tell him what to buy and let him do it.ill just be watching and drinking beer as i laugh myself to death.

Maybe a nice conversation with his dad explaining all the new products availabe and the process you use. Many older generation car entusiasts remember that all that was available to the consumer was one step waxes and Turtle Wax rubbing compound for a polish. If he had a better understanding of todays paints, products and process`s he would feel more comfortable.

superchargedg
10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Maybe a nice conversation with his dad explaining all the new products availabe and the process you use. Many older generation car entusiasts remember that all that was available to the consumer was one step waxes and Turtle Wax rubbing compound for a polish. If he had a better understanding of todays paints, products and process`s he would feel more comfortable.

i did that last night while watching the nascar race.i showed him this site and he agreed with all of us!!!!.i couldnt believe it,he is out of the stone age.he has a dark blue 350z that is as bad of shape as my g was,ima gonna fix him up the right way now.

Accumulator
10-15-2006, 05:28 PM
That`s great news, one of the best things I`ve read on here today :xyxthumbs

imported_paradigm
10-15-2006, 06:03 PM
i wouldn`t do the bait-and-switch either...just point him here and he`ll figure it out.

out of curiosity, how old is the friend? not to be disrespectful, but if it`s his truck...he is an adult and doesn`t need his father to dictate such simple things? (again...no idea what the situation is...but this seems kind of strange)