PDA

View Full Version : using PC to apply paste wax

Asonyexec
10-13-2006, 02:49 PM
I am interested to read of any tricks or tips on how to best use my PC to apply paste wax. Maybe I should say on how to get paste wax onto a PC buffing pad. I have 3 tins of meg #16 which I want to begin using but i always defer to the liquid wax because it`s easier to use with the PC.

Any tips or tricks to share??

thx

BobD
10-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I am interested to read of any tricks or tips on how to best use my PC to apply paste wax. Maybe I should say on how to get paste wax onto a PC buffing pad. I have 3 tins of meg #16 which I want to begin using but i always defer to the liquid wax because it`s easier to use with the PC.

Any tips or tricks to share??

thx

Some people use a butter knife or putty knife to smear the wax on the pad. Some people take the wax out of the container and smear it directly on the pad. Personally, I just do it by hand and then, if I feel my coat is uneven, I go over it with a PC on a low speed.

imported_steveo3002
10-13-2006, 02:58 PM
or purchase a 4" pad kit and it goes in the wax tin

wifehatescar
10-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I pop it out of the jar (easy with Natty`s) about 1/2" and smear on the pad.

Accumulator
10-13-2006, 04:58 PM
After you get the #16 on the pad (I use either a rubber-bladed spatula or a plastic razor blade when using big pads), scrape as much wax as you can back *off* the pad. It takes very little do do a vehicle (even a large one); you should be able to do numerous applications before you can tell you`ve used any wax at all just by looking at it in the can. Most people use a zillion times more #16 than they need to use and then often complain about it being hard to buff off. It`s not like you need to use a whole tablespoon of it to do a Suburban ;)

maxpower
10-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I just use a butter knife or small putty knife to `butter` the pad, very easy to spread a thin layer

GearHead_1
10-13-2006, 07:09 PM
I put two coats of #16 on today with a PC. I use a plastic knife and scrape just a fine sliver. I honestly think you probably get less applications per container this way when compared to applying by hand but for those of us with bad joints it makes it easier. I`ve popped both S100 and Souveran out of the container and brushed the whole block across the pad this works quite well.

Thomas Dekany
10-13-2006, 07:11 PM
easy - use a yellow foam pad to get 16 on it from the jar and just wipe it on the pad or (BETTER) wipe it on the panel.

Asonyexec
10-16-2006, 02:07 PM
All -

Thanks, those are some great ideas!

Grimm
10-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Ditto the butter knife for me. Just did our Mountaineer with Nattys Blue. Just scraped a thin slice about the size of a nickel, which worked well for each panel (door, half hood, etc.).

imported_Bence
10-16-2006, 05:06 PM
With pastes like NXT, VWs, etc., which can be popped out, I just turn the jar upside down and "butter" my pad. With old style lipped tins like Collinite 885, FK1 1000P, etc., I squeeze the pad together until it fits into the jar then I twist it once or twice then I put it on the DA and start applying.

I never understood the putty knife or pop-the-wax-out-entirely methods...

Grimm
10-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Well for myself I wouldn`t trust popping it out for fear that I would drop it :down

Accumulator
10-17-2006, 11:31 AM
..With old style lipped tins like Collinite 885, FK1 1000P, etc., I squeeze the pad together until it fits into the jar ...I never understood the putty knife or pop-the-wax-out-entirely methods...

I *do* often scrunch up the pad and use your method to do the initial priming, it`s a quick way to get a uniform amount of wax on the entire surface of the pad. Then I use the plastic razor blade to add (a very small amount of) wax as needed throughout the job. But it seems like I always have to scrape off a lot of excess when I put the pad in the can :nixwiess

With the Cyclo, I just do it your way, but I do still scrape off all the excess wax.