PDA

View Full Version : Help...Simple Green "clouded" my plastic panels!

Jason78240
10-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone!

I picked up a 2000 Honda Civic theft-recovery that had a ton of soda and oil stains all over the plastic interior panels. Yesterday, my sister cleaned up a few of the panels while I was at work...with Simple Green (1:1). Now they all seem "hazy/cloudy". I tried to clean them up a bit with water and MF, but it only seems to help a little bit. Then, I went ahead and tried some Megs NXT Tech Protect. All the panels came back to life, but I am concerned that this is only a quick fix, and the "haze" will return.

-Has anyone ever come across this, and found a real fix and not a band-aid?

-Given that Simple Green is a high alkaline cleaner, is the "haze" oxidation?

-Would something slightly acidic remove the haze (i.e. vinegar)?

Tried to search, but I could not find any specific information on a remedy, just not to use the stuff on a car. I think I am going to go ahead and hide the Simple Green somewhere in the garage :chuckle:

Any help/ideas/direction would be very appreciated!

BobD
10-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone!

I picked up a 2000 Honda Civic theft-recovery that had a ton of soda and oil stains all over the plastic interior panels. Yesterday, my sister cleaned up a few of the panels while I was at work...with Simple Green (1:1). Now they all seem "hazy/cloudy". I tried to clean them up a bit with water and MF, but it only seems to help a little bit. Then, I went ahead and tried some Megs NXT Tech Protect. All the panels came back to life, but I am concerned that this is only a quick fix, and the "haze" will return.

-Has anyone ever come across this, and found a real fix and not a band-aid?

-Given that Simple Green is a high alkaline cleaner, is the "haze" oxidation?

-Would something slightly acidic remove the haze (i.e. vinegar)?

Tried to search, but I could not find any specific information on a remedy, just not to use the stuff on a car. I think I am going to go ahead and hide the Simple Green somewhere in the garage :chuckle:

Any help/ideas/direction would be very appreciated!

I don`t use Simple Green anymore. Back before I knew better I used it on the engine and it turns the aluminum white and the plastic and rubber peices white. Try some 303 Protectant and see if that does anything.

sneek
10-13-2006, 03:09 PM
yikes! even simple green says its bad for interiors!

Cure: more NXT when ever needed. I dont think meguairs plastx would help

fdizzle
10-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Simple green is wonderful for cleaning pads, applicators, degreasing engines and wheel wells, i even spray it on rims to help break down bad dirt.

problem - you must use 30x more water to rinse it than you would with other cleaners. it is one of the reasons simple green is so potent.

i would never use that for paint, interior panals or uphlostry.

that said, take Danease`s advice, check out his store, and dont worry about your panals returning to hazy land . . the NXT protectant is a good product, and upon application it revived the plastic, and will keep it looking nice for a good ammount of time.

I have found that DP (detailers pride) interior cleaner works well, along with an OTC soloution - MG quick interior detailer. Little protecting abilities, so always follow it up with a protectant, like your NXT

my 2 cents - good luck

qadsan
10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I don`t use Simple Green anymore. Back before I knew better I used it on the engine and it turns the aluminum white and the plastic and rubber peices white.

Which Simple Green product did you use? They make many different products and some of their products can be more corrosive than others. Concentration and dwell time can make all the difference in the world between having aluminum turn white or staying bright. Simple Green makes a product called Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner. It`s a water based cleaner for engines, aircraft, vehicles, metals, plastics, high-tech alloys, and parts. It`s also non-corrosive where as their concentrated cleaner / degreaser that`s commonly found at places like Home Depot will definitely turn aluminum white if you use it full strength, especially if it sits there too long.

Jason78240
10-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah, the NXT seems to bring it back to life. I`m just hoping that I won`t have to reapply every other week to keep the haze away. Thanks for the input!