PDA

View Full Version : Proof (I think) showing Beads=Protection

Pages : [1] 2

xtahoex
10-13-2006, 09:56 AM
ok, Since I felt as though the beads meant the paint was protected and so did some others, while others felt that it wasn`t a great way to judge protection, I decided to do a test. This morning I went out and stripped all wax from the drivers side portion of my hood using 50/50 IPA mix. I cleaned it twice, sprayed it with water, and took these pictures.

This shows the whole hood I think you can clearly see the diference in the right side which I stripped this morning.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/sonalamp/automobiles046.jpg

Protected Side

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/sonalamp/automobiles047.jpg

Stripped Side

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/sonalamp/automobiles048-1.jpg

Close up of the protected side

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/sonalamp/automobiles049-1.jpg

Close up of the stripped side, same area of hood as above just opposite side

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/sonalamp/automobiles050-1.jpg

So I think this shows that the NXT was still protecting (at least to some degree) after 3 1/2 months, what do yall think?

Guy
10-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Is that a Dakota? The car we bought for my daughter had NXT applied last November 05, we purchased it in early September 06. My uncle who applied it uses the wash wax method, no clay, polish, or paint cleaner. The car was garage kept and rarely driven until we bought it and now sits outside 24/7. I noticed the NXT degrading week by week but is still there to some degree. In my opinion a good OTC product with great depth and reflection.

xtahoex
10-13-2006, 10:13 AM
It`s actually a 2001 tahoe.

coupe
10-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Thats proof enough for me.

You can clearly see the nice tight beads on the protected side and the unprotected side still has beads BUT they are not tight, uniform, circular or stand tall.

imported_truzoom
10-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Does "protected" imply the presence of a LSP? You can get beading just as well after polishing paint.

coupe
10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
I have never noticed tight, uniform, cicrular, tall standing beads after just polishing.

Some polishes do seem to have protective qualitys in them though, so keep that in mind also.

xtahoex
10-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Even if polish does cause beading that isn`t the case here because this paint wasn`t polished prior to the application of NXT.

Scottwax
10-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Just because it is beading, doesn`t necessarily mean the paint is well protected.

imported_truzoom
10-13-2006, 11:41 AM
What I`m saying is that any sort of `slickness` on the paint will probably result in nice surface beading. You could smear your hood with olive oil and water would bead on it.

Similarly, paint that has at one time been protected by a LSP will continue to bead even after the protection is gone. At least that`s what I think.

Kind of like paint that has been properly cared for (not necessarily protected) will probably bead over dingy, oxidized paint that has never seen a wash.

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Wow, so you proved in one experiment both that NXT does have durability and also that when it sheets rather than beads it`s gone? That`s what I`m getting out of it. I`ll have to go back and read the definition of "sheeting" that was put forward in that M21 thread.

Scottwax
10-13-2006, 11:46 AM
I`ve never quite figured out the beading/sheeting stuff. NXT beads very well when it rains or you spritz it with water but sheets when you blast it full force with a hose, where #16 for example, still beads but those beads race across the surface. I wonder if that is what Meguiars means by sheeting vs beading?

Setec Astronomy
10-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Oh boy...this is turning into one of those threads already. Scott, if good beading doesn`t mean it`s well protected, and some others argue that "sheeting" doesn`t mean it`s well protected, then what are we left with as an indicator? I believe that some have also argued that slickness is not an indicator as to whether the paint is protected, only that it`s not slick anymore, which leaves us with the "squeak" test? I think we should all just AW/OCW/Z8 after every wash and forget this discussion. :chuckle:

Joshua312
10-13-2006, 12:20 PM
I`ll have to go back and read the definition of "sheeting" that was put forward in that M21 thread.

I would have to say the sheeting effect M21 has is when the rain is falling you can see the beads of water sliding down the surface of my vehicle or even after the rain for that matter. When parked next to other cars that have obviously been waxed their car continues to just bead but I see no water sheeting down the sides. I hope this makes sense to everybody...

Scottwax
10-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh boy...this is turning into one of those threads already. Scott, if good beading doesn`t mean it`s well protected, and some others argue that "sheeting" doesn`t mean it`s well protected, then what are we left with as an indicator? I believe that some have also argued that slickness is not an indicator as to whether the paint is protected, only that it`s not slick anymore, which leaves us with the "squeak" test? I think we should all just AW/OCW/Z8 after every wash and forget this discussion. :chuckle:

Beading indicates surface tension, so that doesn`t *prove* protection. FWIW, I have found that carnaubas may not bead as long as sealants but seem to protect better against bird bombs.

TigerMike
10-13-2006, 12:53 PM
I think we should all just AW/OCW/Z8 after every wash and forget this discussion. :chuckle:

I second that motion!!! AW after every wash = indefinite protection. End of story.