PDA

View Full Version : A 2 day detail session?

nyc_sud
10-12-2006, 02:37 PM
I`m planning a detail (with a PC) that will consist of:

Wash

Clay

extreme cut polish

light cut polish

sealant

I`m not sure I can get this done in one session as I have kids and soccer ect. :sosad Is it ok to leave the car overnight and finish the next day? Any advice for a noob?

BobD
10-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I`m planning a detail (with a PC) that will consist of:

Wash

Clay

extreme cut polish

light cut polish

sealant

I`m not sure I can get this done in one session as I have kids and soccer ect. :sosad Is it ok to leave the car overnight and finish the next day? Any advice for a noob?

It is fine to do it this way. I do it all of the time because my time is limited any more. Basically just go over the car witha quick detailer before starting the next day.

Eliot Ness
10-12-2006, 02:49 PM
......I`m not sure I can get this done in one session as I have kids and soccer ect. .....Geez, you mean you have a life outside of detailing :nixweiss.

You`ll be OK, but just to play it safe you might want to do a quick wash before you start on the second day. To speed things up you might want to use QEW (http://www.danase.com/quandeawabyp.html) or ONR (http://store.danase.com/opnowaandsh3.html). A lot depends on what step you finished, if the car is garaged or gets wet/dusty, etc. So a quick wash will cover all the bases for you.

Eliot Ness
10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
......I`m not sure I can get this done in one session as I have kids and soccer ect. .....Geez, you mean you have a life outside of detailing :nixweiss.

You`ll be OK, but do a QD or a quick wash (if the car happens to get very dusty or dirty) before you start on the second day. To speed things up you might want to use QEW (http://www.danase.com/quandeawabyp.html) or ONR (http://store.danase.com/opnowaandsh3.html).

fdizzle
10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
you could always add 24ft of flourescent lighting in your garage and work from midnight until daybreak . . .not that i have done that or anything, im not a freak . . . ;)

martinager
10-12-2006, 04:03 PM
you could always add 24ft of flourescent lighting in your garage and work from midnight until daybreak . . .not that i have done that or anything, im not a freak . . . ;)

Just a over achiever :2thumbs:

fdizzle
10-12-2006, 05:16 PM
oh stop it . . . .ur gonanmake me blush

hey NYC - I take a break sometimes for a few hours if its my own car or family members . . like everyone else here says . . it should not have any effect on the outcome of your results, so long as your finish stays clean and debri free . .

Accumulator
10-13-2006, 11:33 AM
I usually spend a few days doing a big job, sometimes more than just a few! The only issue is something getting on the car and that`s a matter of how clean/not your environment is. If it gets dirty/dusty/etc. then you have to clean it before you resume work, if not you don`t, pretty much as simple as that.

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I would personally attack it by doing it in pieces. For example, on the hood use EC, then LC, then seal before moving on to any other panels. There was a thread about that a while back, but I`m too lazy to search for it lol

Grimm
10-14-2006, 12:00 PM
It took me a full week to do my car. I would suggest one thing though. Maybe I don`t have great MF towels, but I thought I got a little bit of swirls from wiping down with a QD after polishing when I went back the next day on the hood. So I would suggest working your schedule so that you can get a coat of sealant on right away after you do the last step of polishing. But then I also was able to drive another car while it sat in the garage, so you might want to do one panel at a time like above. Otherwise you could get crap on the car and have to do the process over in some areas.

Bob G
10-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Depending on the condition of the paint and wheels . I have spent half a day just prewashing a vehicle and claying the paint and glass. So no two days is not unreasonable . You mite want to do a through wash and clay service one day and a 2 stage machine polish and sealant the next day. Donot forget to wax the wheels if they are alloy.

Bob Geco

nyc_sud
10-14-2006, 06:35 PM
A follow up on the 2 day detail question.

My polish and sealant will not arrive until Wednesday and won`t be able to PC the car until next Saturday. Can I wash and clay tomorrow and leave the finish unprotected until next week?

I guess I could apply an OTC wax (Turtle wax) after the clay. Does this seem like a better idea? :think2 I would then wash, dry and start in with the HT Heavy Cut.

Thanks,

T

Accumulator
10-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I really wouldn`t worry about the car being unprotected for that period of time, no worse than what most cars go through at the dealership before they get sold.

I don`t see this as being any big deal since you`re gonna be polishing then anyhow. Just attend to any birdbombs promptly since they`ll be sitting on bare paint.

You could always go over it with a "leaves something behind" QD after the wash/clay. That`s what I`d do if it were mine.