PDA

View Full Version : Does my car have clear coat?

PedroDaGr8
10-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I was reading around here on the website and I saw somethign that got me quite worried. One of the people mentioned having worked on a white 2004 honda accord that was a single stage paint with no clear coat. I have a white 2004 Honda CR-V now I am worried that I don`t have a clear coat on mine, and I was wondering exactly how I could tell, because the car is shiny and all but I can`t seem to see if there is a layer on top of the paint. If there is no clear coat would it behove me to find out how much it would cost to get one put on, and lastly what would I need to do differently if I don`t have a clear coat. I tried google searchign and can`t find the info on it anywhere so maybe someone has some first hand experience.

BobD
10-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Not having clear is nothing to fear. (rhyme master Bob here). To see if your car is single stage paint simple take a foam applicator and some light duty polish. If your pad has white paint transfered on it you don`t have a clear.

imported_GregCavi
10-12-2006, 12:07 PM
You have nothing to worry about by not having a clear coat. As long as you maintain your car with protection (wax or sealant) your car should have no problem staying glossy for a long time. I have worked on many new cars that are single stage and they still come out flawless with the same processes I use on clear coated cars.

Greg

PedroDaGr8
10-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Wow, nice quick repsonses, and thanks for the reassurance. If this one doesn`t have a clear coat it would be my first car ever not to have one (it is also my first with non-metallic paint). THanks to all of you for letting me know.