PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a PC

Ghaleon0721
10-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Before I knew any better I bought a random orbital buffer at Sears. It`s a craftsman brand. It`s 10".

I`ve done three cars with it and have been really pleased with the results. I`ve used it to apply and remove pre-wax cleaner, paint polish, and sealer glaze. The only thing I had trouble with is Mothers step 3 pure carnuaba wax. I apply that by hand with a foam applicator. The terry cloth bonnets for the craftsman buffer didn`t work at taking it off, but I found a place that sold microfiber bonnets and those worked GREAT!

The only complaint I have is that I have to change the bonnets two or three times to get the car completely clean. And, since I`m using three different products, that means I need to have 8 or 10 bonnets just to do one car.

I`ve been totally satisfied with the results, it`s just a heavy clumsy thing to use. It doesn`t get around mirros and spoilers well. I have to do a lot of the hard to reach crevices such as around the grill all by hand.

Other than ease of use, what other advantages does the PC have over what I have now? Both of my cars are new, and I plan on keeping up with the paint maintenace. So I won`t be doing any major repairs to my paint. How much does a PC cost and is it really worth it considering I already have something that works well?

Grimm
10-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Basically if you are happy with average looking paint, you don`t need it. But if you want a superior finish with relative ease, you need a PC. Your buffer is OK for waxing, but if you want to get rid of swirls and scratches (which you will have eventually) you need the PC.

coupe
10-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Yup you cant remove paint imperfections with those crappy little buffers.

Without at least a PC you will never achieve a superior finish with that buffer.

Guy
10-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I sold my Craftsman, bought a PC and never looked back!

Eliot Ness
10-12-2006, 08:29 AM
^ Yes, what they all said. Plus you`ll have a much better selection of pads and bonnets to choose from. Like Guy, I finally just gave my old RO away a couple of years ago. Just be careful what bonnets you use with your RO because some can create marring that you won`t realize is there until you notice it under certain lighting conditions/angles.

You can get a PC Kit (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html) like the one in the link for about $200. A bare PC will run about $100 - $110 if you buy it at Lowes and then you will have to buy a backing plate and pads for it..... that might save you some $$$$ depending on where you buy them and what you decide to get.

lukeinva
10-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Yeah get a PC I got everything for $180 I think it was. The PC was $100 and then $80 for the pads,backing plate and polishes. Like everyone else said they are fine for waxing but thats about it!

Ghaleon0721
10-12-2006, 11:53 AM
OK, so the kit in the link that you put up has the orange, green, and blue pad. Are those for applying product, or taking it off? Or both? Are the microfiber bonnets for removal? If so why are there only two in the kit? How many would I need? I know the one I have now only makes it through half the car before it starts to leave residue and streaks because it`s become saturated with product.

Eliot Ness
10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
OK, so the kit in the link that you put up has the orange, green, and blue pad. Are those for applying product, or taking it off? Or both? Are the microfiber bonnets for removal? If so why are there only two in the kit? How many would I need? I know the one I have now only makes it through half the car before it starts to leave residue and streaks because it`s become saturated with product.The pads are used to apply your product (polish, wax, or glaze), the bonnets are for wax/glaze/sealer removal. By using the PC you should be able to apply much thinner coats of wax/sealer so the bonnets won`t clog as fast.

How many you`ll need depends on the car (size), product used, how thick you apply it, etc. I usually buff most everything (wax/sealer/glaze) off by hand with a good MF and then sometimes go over it with the PC and a MF bonnet. If you want to do it all with a bonnet then I`d order a few more of them.

fdizzle
10-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Did you know the craftsman buffers make fantastic decorative peices on your coffe table? j/k

I have a 7`` Random Orbital Craftsman buffer . . . I use it for, well, I dont really use it . . . it sits in the bowls of my car care cabinet, in the dark, alone. I think I can hear it cry at night . . . My PC beats it up and takes it`s lunch money too . . . what a bum rap . . .

Get a PC. Lake country pads have always done me well. Best of luck . . .

BigAl3
10-12-2006, 08:04 PM
buy one, you won`t regret it...