PDA

View Full Version : How to remove trim and motor kote.

Pages : [1] 2 3

h22accordex
10-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I absolutly do notlike this product at all. I appled today just as the directions says and it absolutly sucks. Its now 3 hours later and its all tacky and gooyey. Not to mention it looks blotchy on all my powdercoated parts! So far ive been at removing a few of the pieces from the engine and using tar remover and that works OK. The valve cover it doesnt want to come off at all. Is there a product i can purchase at a auto parts store that i can spray on there and wash oFf? Do not use this product! maybe i just got a defective bottle or something but its bad!

imported_GregCavi
10-11-2006, 10:42 PM
If its a protectant type then it should only be used on plastic and rubber. With that said to remove it use some all purpose cleaner and a mf to remove it. It should come off pretty easily.

Greg

h22accordex
10-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Nope it said it could be used on everything, aluminum, painted surfaces, rubber anodized everything. Its an acrylic sealant it says

fdizzle
10-11-2006, 11:29 PM
you know . . . i personally would be weary of anything that says it can be used on metal, then paint, and then plastic . .

penziol made a product that claimed it was a car wash, car wax, rubber protectant, leather cleaner/conditioner glass cleaner. I laughed so hard I fell to the floor. (some body gave it to my buddy as a gift....)

thats just my oppinion - anyway some all purpose cleaner should do the trick, if it does not work dilutted, try it full strength . . . otherwise your gonna get stuck using somthing harsh enough to break it down like 3M tar and adhesive remover, rubbing alcohol . .. DO NOT USE ACETONE or any other harsh chemical (im sure you knew that, but its always better to say it...)

h22accordex
10-11-2006, 11:55 PM
But it is sonus and sonus is well known around here. I found a good way to get it off. Get a bucket of soapy dawn water and soak everywhere you want the product off. Let it sit, and it came right off. Make the towels all gooey though when they dried. It says it supposed to dry hard. But mine didnt, it didnt even try and it was really tacky and nasty and was not even at all. I wont be using this anymore, i will jus use rubber conditioner on a towel and wipe what i want done. No more spraying freely thats for sure

h22accordex
10-13-2006, 04:16 AM
So are there any products that are good that i can purchase locally at a shuchs that will take it off? I cant take off each piece to soak in a bucket of soapy dawn water. Would it be bad to put dawn soap directly in engine bay and spray and let the soapy water sit? than hose off?

TortoiseAWD
10-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Any OTC engine cleaner/degreaser should remove Engine Kote, and will probably cut through it more quickly than Dawn.

Tort

boxcartommie22
10-13-2006, 07:55 PM
this crap left the same white tacky blotches all over my engine

SVR
10-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Mine too, had to high pressure blast the engine bay today during washing to get it off

And it`s been on there for almost a year

Says to spray and not wipe but the trouble is that it dries to a water spotted look.

Accumulator
10-14-2006, 12:29 PM
David says this stuff is the same as the old Meguiar`s Engine Kote. IIRC opinions were divided into "works great"/"yuck, it`s awful" about that version too. I`ve yet to try my bottle because I`m leery of having the same problems.

I`d contact him about it, reputable vendors are usually pretty good about taking care of customers who buy something that doesn`t work out.

h22accordex
10-16-2006, 03:24 AM
i had to spend 10bux at a local car wash and about 30 minutes with the pressure washer and gunk citrus engine bright to get MOST of it off. Than about another hour and a half dressing it the proper way with some pinnacle vinyl and rubber protectant. My recomendation is to stay away from the product, unless he updates it that fixes the blotchy uneven gooeyness of it

imported_Lightman
10-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Damn, I just received my bottle of Sonus TMK today...now I`m really leery to try it. Has anyone successfully used this product??

Accumulator
10-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Lightman- I bet if you search on the Meguiar`s version you`ll find satisfied users.

And, at the risk of speaking out of both sides of my mouth (since mine`s still on the shelf too ;) ) it`s not like David has a habit of selling crappy products that haven`t worked well in his testing.

h22accordex
10-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Maybe i just gota bad batch who knows. I just wont be using it again. maybe one of you should use what you have on your shelf and share your experience. Use it on a very small portion and see how you like it

imported_Lightman
10-20-2006, 08:51 AM
I`m thinking of taking the plastic engine cover off my vw (about 3x3`) and trying it on that, separate from the vehicle...that way if it totally is bunk I can hit it with degreaser and a hose or something strong for easy removal.

The whole application process is what`s kinda throwing me off..with spraying out something thick and just letting it dry without wiping to smooth the surface/evenly distribute the product. Maybe as a test I`ll spray and let dry on half of the engine cover and the other half spray on an applicator and spread on. The only reason I`m bothering is because it does sound to be pretty thick/durable stuff.