PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

mfo
04-07-2005, 01:19 AM
hi,

i just got a Mitsubishi 3000GT. but i`m not happy with the condition of the paint.
it has a lot of swirls, while it looks good at day, at night, under dim lighting, the paint doesnt look shiny from afar, it does reflect a lot, but it just doesnt look good.

examples
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/dw33p/3000gt/IMG_1487-fixed-web.jpg

cheated a bit with this one, i boosted the contrast to highlight the reflection more, but i does look pretty damn good at day.

but,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/dw33p/3000gt/IMG_1565.jpg

at night u could see the swirls so badly, that the paint just doesnt look good anymore.

so far i`ve tried meguiar`s 3 step, cleaner wax, polish, and then wax on one door panel, but that didnt help much at all(with the swirls). i`ve also just got clay in hope that maybe the paint was just too dirty, so everytime i wax it i create new swirls on top of the old ones...

what can i do? or should i find a professional detailer? if i should does anyone know a good detailer in boston area?

thanks

joyriide1113
04-07-2005, 06:18 AM
u could try and fix it yourself a variety of ways or u can go the other route and get a professional to buff em out. its really your choise.

if u wanna try something store bought for the swirls id give scratchx a try,although i must warn u, doing this by hand will take lots and lots of time and reeally work your shoulder.

next option is u can stick around and read a bit more, and probably purchase a dual action polisher (preferably a pc 7424) and take em out yourself. and just incase u think u might cause damage with the pc, u wont. fool proof. perfect for newbies. its the rotory u must stay away form until uve practiced enough. again, if u wanna go this route read up on a few things, specifically on abrasive and light abrasive products such as poorboys ssr lineup, very user friendly. then as usual op it with w/e protection u prefer.

again its your choice, but if u do choose to do it yourself please read the tutorials well. not because anyone here or i mind answering newbie questions, its really so u can get a more understanding word for word, so when u do have a question, u wont be as confused as to what our answers would be.

good luck.
joy