PDA

View Full Version : Mothers showtime instant detailer, KSG friendly? and which wash?

Fabre
10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I used some AOI and applied couple of layers of KSG (used water on applicator as per instructions) couple of weeks ago for the first time.

It`s going to be time to wash the car again, I used to wash the car with some cheap armorall cold formula would that be ok with the KSG or would you recommend another wash?

After the wash I am planning to apply another layer of KSG but this time using a QD on the applicator instead of water, I don`t have any Meguiars QD but already have a spray of Mothers Showtime Instant detailer would that be ok to use with the KSG?

abbeysdad
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
I haven`t used the Armorall wash, but any car wash formula should be okay. I quite like Megs gold class.

I wouldn`t use the Mothers Showtime QD to moisten the KSG applicator only because it may contain some wax that may inhibit KSG bonding. I think your better off with water or a glanz of 3 parts distilled water to 1 part KSG.

fdizzle
10-11-2006, 11:23 PM
tgo my knowledge, showtime does not contain any wax products, just shine/gloss enhancers and lubricants . . . you should be fine using that to qd the car - i would look into getting a qd more suited for acrylic sealants however . . . sonius, werkstatt, menzurna all make great arcylic designed qd`s,

another idea, i have seen threads and posts of people taking KSG and diluting it with distilled water 50/50 and using that as a QD in a spray bottle (personally I think it sounds fishy, and have never nor will never try it myself)

Milestones
10-12-2006, 06:05 AM
another idea, i have seen threads and posts of people taking KSG and diluting it with distilled water 50/50 and using that as a QD in a spray bottle (personally I think it sounds fishy, and have never nor will never try it myself)

Actually I`m not aware of anyone using diluted KSG as a QD - because KSG has no cleaning properties.

Some folks use diluted AIO as a QD - but I don`t do that myself because I`m not convinced that it would not remove existing layers of KSG, even in a diluted form.

There are several folks on Autopia, myself included, who are using a 3:1 KSG/distilled water mix as a spray booster sealant that works in a similar manner to Sonus AG, DG Aquawax, or Zaino Z8.

Again, I"m not aware of anyone using this as a true QD, but rather folks are using it as sealant booster on a clean car after washing.

I`ve been using this homebrew for about 4 months now and I`ve also compared it to Sonus Acrylic Glanz and DG Aquawax and I can`t really tell much of a difference between them in terms of performance or looks (other than the smell, color of the products as they are applied). They all work great - but obviously the diluted KSG is a lot cheaper.

There`s nothing "fishy" about it.

fdizzle
10-12-2006, 09:36 AM
yeah . . . tell me about it, the sonius is like 15 bucks give or take a few bones . . . .

perhaps the KSG H2O thing was a gloss enhancer . . .

whatever . . . I just use Automagic body shine and Adams detail spray, they work fine for me, are safe on either nuba or polymer/arcylic sealant, and leave the surface like it was when i finished putting a topper on it . . .

I personally would just reapply the lsp rather than using an acrylic based or nuba based spray . ..

im weird like that . . .

abbeysdad
10-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey guys - please re-read the original post. He is speaking of using the QD to moisten a KSG applicator.

Accumulator
10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
It`s going to be time to wash the car again, I used to wash the car with some cheap armorall cold formula would that be ok with the KSG or would you recommend another wash?

I like Griot`s Car Wash, for a number of reasons including that it seems *VERY* gentle on KSG (and other LSPs too). I credit the mildness of the Griot`s for the incredible results I got when I durability-tested KSG.

I just use KSG by itself on the applicator, no QD, no water, so I can`t really help with the Showtime Q.

AL-53
10-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I do not know about using some QD`s as a pad moistener....some contain silicones as a gloss enhancer and may interfere with the klasse....

water would be my choice ..but I never dampened the pad when using it...

I would use a better shampoo..that Amour all shampoo is pretty harsh stuff...

for over the counter shampoo try... eagle1 .. duragloss...turtle wax platinum series..all are good shampoos and rinse clean...q

mail order..Griots...

AL

fdizzle
10-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Whops . . . I meant using the QD on the applicator pad . . . not the car. but my oroginal post still got my point across - using a nuba based qd on an applicator pad for KSG would be counterproductive . . . didnt mean to get off topic people . .