PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Black Metallic Car Detail

TheCheeta
10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
I just picked up an `07 Passat 2.0T with 8 miles on it this past Saturday. It is the Black Metallic (almost got the Blue Graphite, but they didn`t have the all black interior...). Before I had the chance to say don`t touch the car, they did their quick detail job... a cursory removal of the remaining transit stuff, a run through their car wash (hey, I get free car washes there now! :lol ), and then another walk-around with some stuff designed to remove the transit residue.

I have always taken relatively good care of my cars` paint, but I want to take it to the next level here, especially since I have a black, metal flake car (what the heck was I thinking?) and it is brand new. The paint and chrome appear to still be in perfect condition, despite the dealer wash. I just stepped outside to look, but since we`ve had rain here the past few days, the car is pretty dirty, so I can`t really see any imperfections. They did still leave quite a bit of transit residue, though. Bums.

Anyway, here is the situation... this Passat was made in May `06, so the paint has had plenty of time to breath, I believe. The car will spend 99% of its time outside as I have no garage. I have been considering a car cover but haven`t started the research on the best cover to get yet. I live in downtown St. Louis... thankfully, I have my own place to park off the street, but have to travel down a dusty brick alleyway to get to it. No trees hang over the parking spot. My daily drive to work is 20 miles, mostly highway.

I pretty much have the entire weekend to detail this car for the first time, and I want to do it right, give the car a terrific running start with a perfect paint job, and prep it for the winter. (Praying that it doesn`t rain...) So... where do I start? Assume I have no cleaning products or supplies at all right now. Wide open question, I know, but given all the info above, what is my best route? I see the use of the PC mentioned an awful lot... I`ve never used one, so a little concerned about any damage I could do. Yada yada yada... you guys get the picture. Thanks for your help! :2thumbs:

Bigpoppa3346
10-11-2006, 03:58 PM
The search button is your friend.....

TheCheeta
10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
See, if I got something besides "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/autopia.org/httpdocs/forum/search.php on line 997" when I tried to search, I`d be in like flint. ;)

sdcj
10-11-2006, 04:24 PM
When I got my new black car last year, I had a lot of the same questions...The consensus I got (which I now, after experience agree with) is first clay-after washing of course. There is a bunch of crap on your paint for sure, whether you see it or not. Once you`ve clayed, really go over the paint and determine how much damage the dealer prep did. More than likely you`ll just need a mild polish and an LSP. As for the PC concerns, you have to try pretty hard to do serious damage with the PC.

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
SDCJ is correct ...

Start with a good wash - Megs Gold Class or NXT

Clay - I use Mothers Cali Gold

Light Polish - Normally I would recommend OP, but since your going at it by hand I would lean toward Klasse AIO

Wax/Sealant - Collinite, Zaino, DuraGloss, FK1, are all very durable and should be excellent for winter protection

Quick Detailer - I don`t have personal experience, but everyone says FK1 425 and 146 are both excellent QD`s that excel in repelling dust.

As for investing in a PC, you cant go wrong. You will be amazed at what your able to accomplish by using a machine vs. doing it by hand. To screw up using a PC is almost impossible, you would have to really try to cause damage. IMHO, if you can brush your teeth or use a computer mouse, using a PC will be just as easy.