PDA

View Full Version : NO clear coat safe

Mobilejay
10-11-2006, 02:22 AM
I may have a client who loves to collect vettes. I was probably going to use the Z line but dont have Z3 cause most of the cars i do have a clear coat. I also have a line of black fire products that i just purchased(which CMA got to me in 4 days, pretty sweet). are the BF products safe to use on vehicles without a clear coat? pre 85 or 83 i think are with out a clear coat and i dont know what all he has, just want to be sure not to mess anything up. thanks in advance for your help.

Mobilejay
10-11-2006, 02:20 PM
does anybody know?

Dan
10-11-2006, 03:13 PM
If its clear coat safe, it`s safe for single stage paint most of the time. If unsure, always test an area.

Accumulator
10-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Noting that I haven`t used Zaino and that the only BF products I`ve used are their cleaner/polish and sealant (both versions)....

I`m guessing that all the talk about "clearcoat safe" products has you thinking about stuff being/not "single stage safe". It`s good to be cautious when approaching something new, but in this case you don`t have to worry *too* much.

Generally, it`s not like you need to use something "single stage safe" on the cars without clearcoats. Z3 might be optimal for ss, but I`m sure the other Z sealants will work well too (but again, no first-hand experience).

I`ve used all sorts of stuff on ss (note that I`ve had numerous cars with the OE ss paint, currently have two) without problems. Generally it`s safe to say that whatever works on b/c will work on ss, but the flip-side does apply- you need to exercise caution when using products designed for ss on b/c. After all, the "clearcoat" is just paint without pigment though it is a different technology than the ss paint than they made back in the day.

I`ve used BF on ss with no problems at all, but some very porous (and/or very dried out) single stage paints might not like it; you might get streaking because it might absorb unevenly. I`d be sure to shake it up really well and to apply it *very* uniformly. I wouldn`t expecct it to be the end of the world if it does cause a problem, you`d just have to use a paint cleaner to get it off and try something else. Be sure to do good prep before going to the LSP, the more uniform the surface you apply to the better.

FWIW I generally prefer carnaubas (and even the old glaze with carnauba topper approach) on single stage. If it`s really old ss, especially lacquer, I`d go that route. You could always run out the autoparts/autobody supply store for some Meg`s #3/#5/#7/#81 and something like #26.

TigerMike
10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I believe I have read that Sal Zaino has said that regular Z polishes (Z2 and Z5) can also be used on single stage paint. I believe he once said that Z3 just has an extra additive to help prevent oxidation of single stage.

In any case, the Z polishes are so paint friendly, they will most assuredly not mess anything up. I`d go ahead with the regular Z2 or Z5....no problem! :2thumbs:

Mobilejay
10-11-2006, 03:54 PM
very informative, thank you

wannafbody
10-11-2006, 04:31 PM
I applied a spot of Z2pro on our oxidized red van for kicks-without polishing first. The Zaino definitely bonded to the surface. Becasue the paint surface isn`t smooth it doesn`t bead very well but you can definitely tell where the zaino is and where it`s just old oxidized paint.