PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Big blotch of Sap?

Rednsxe
10-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I have like 2 blotch of sap that is like dime size thats on my roof. Its all hardened up, how would you get rid of something like that without damaging the paint?

captkirk2
10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Rubbing alcohol works well on pine sap. You may have to keep it wet for a while to soften it.

fdizzle
10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
i think any bug and tar remover would work, your best shot is puttig the product on the top of the sap, and letting it soak. i would be weary of getting any tar remover on your paint and letting it soak for long periods, as it may stain your clear. I have never seen that happen, however anything strong enough to remove sap should not be left on your paint for long periods of time.

so if you dab it on the sap and remove it layer after layer, eventuallty you will have no sap left. i would use a paint cleaner to get rid of any microscopic remians and chemical tar remover left over, and then repolish and top with whatever lsp you use . . .

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Rubbing alcohol and plastic razor blades :bigups

Guy
10-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Saturate it with a paint cleaner, put a rag over it and let it sit for awhile. I use Pinnacle paint cleaner.

audicoupej
10-11-2006, 01:44 PM
I did an X-3 last weekend with sap all over. I used Stoners Tarminator, just make sure the surface is clean and dry. I also had to use plastic razor blades there was soo much and it was cold out so the sap was very hard. The plastic blades did cause some marring but I was polishing anyways. For a few spots just apply the solvent(whatever you want) and use a MF moving to clean spots after a few swipes. Also the tarminator breaks the clay down so use one or the other. The clay worked but not great.

Lets add to this:

How do you remove sap from a black fabric convertible top. I have a Mini next weekend that has this problem. I have 303 convertible cleaner and Megs versa interior brush but I`m not sure it will break the sap down. :think2

klnyc
10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Goof Off will do it or was is Goo Gone? Anyway anyone of those 2 will work for ya.

fdizzle
10-11-2006, 02:04 PM
goof off is a solvent base, goo gone is citrus, both work well, i think goo gone would be safer since its citrus based . . .I JUST REMEMBERED 3m tar and adhesive remover works extreamly well, better than bug and tar remover - its safe to use on cured paint, says so on the can and their CS dept.