PDA

View Full Version : Time to get a PC

lemans23
10-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey all, lookin for some advice. I`m an "underground" detailer, but it `s time to step up and get a PC to get the swirls outta my car before winter hits. I want to buy one in a package with most of the pads I`ll need. A few questions first:

1. Be honest, can I actually DAMAGE the paint (not mar it, but actually burn it)?

2. What sort of pads should I need?

3. If I`m using it in volume (lots of cars here BLOW), what sort of polishes should I have on hand?

4. Anything else I should know?

Looking at:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

-Dave

imported_paradigm
10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
1. Be honest, can I actually DAMAGE the paint (not mar it, but actually burn it)?

the only way i can imagine you would actually BURN through paint w/ a PC is if you used a 4" yellow pad, a very strong polish like SSR-3 or similar, cranked it to speed 6...and then fell asleep at the wheel for a loooong time while applying a ton of pressure.

i think a few people on here have had that happen, but it must have been on paint that was close to failure to begin with. (correct me if i`m wrong, Autopian Seniors!) ;)

lemans23
10-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Bump.

10char

Grimm
10-10-2006, 06:39 AM
#2-You really can`t go wrong with any. Everyone has their own preferences.\

#3-Everything. Start with one line and give it a try. Optimum seems to be a highly recommended one to start with because of it`s long working time and low dust. Then you`ll want to try more and more products as you get experienced.

lemans23
10-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Good stuff. I have SSR2 and the poorboy`s polish on hand right now (as far as polishes go that is), do you think that`s sufficient?

socommatthews
10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
not to threadjack but since were talking about the PC,im gonna get one myself(7424)and i was reading up on it and it seemed that everyone was using "cutting"pads to get scratches and swirls out.do you HAVE to use a cutting pad for that or is that just the quickest?it will take me a while to get good on it and i read that a cutting pad is not for beginners.all i have are light swirl marks.

Juztang
10-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah the SSR1 and SSR2 should work really well.

socommatthews- An orange light cutting an white polishing pad should be sufficient for the job unless you have terrible swirls.

lemans23
10-10-2006, 08:32 PM
It`s not SSR1, it`s:

http://poorboysworld.com/poorboys-polish.htm

http://poorboysworld.com/products/pb-polish.jpg

lemans23
10-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Also, I only have Natty blue (used to own a black car), but now I have a silver civic si. Would I benefit from buying the regular natty`s?

Juztang
10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
The regular Natty`s will look better with the silver. It will bring out the metallic more. I have found that the blue can dull the metallic. Pro Polish is not an abbrasive polish, it is a chemical polish. You can use that instead of the SSR1. I think the SSR1 finishes better though.

lemans23
10-10-2006, 08:39 PM
...It isn`t the pro polish, it`s the regular Poorboy`s polish. Okay, I`m glad I asked about the natty blue. I really don`t feel like ordering a tub of it from their site and paying for shipping since I own my car which is the only silver, my sister owns a green 03 altima, and my dad has two black cars. My mother`s is white, but she doesn`t give a half **** and just runs it through the car wash. What`s a good, easy to use, but more importantly, good looking wax I can pick up locally? Thanks for all the PC noob answers, it really means alot.

Juztang
10-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Sorry- i call it Pro Polish for short! A good wax you can get local would be any Megiuars wax or a sealant like NXT.

Grimm
10-10-2006, 08:58 PM
not to threadjack but since were talking about the PC,im gonna get one myself(7424)and i was reading up on it and it seemed that everyone was using "cutting"pads to get scratches and swirls out.do you HAVE to use a cutting pad for that or is that just the quickest?it will take me a while to get good on it and i read that a cutting pad is not for beginners.all i have are light swirl marks.

Don`t worry, I just bought one and started right off with an orange pad, and no trouble. You can`t do any damage unless you hold it in one spot for a long time. Though you will want to be carefull on sharp edges/corners.