PDA

View Full Version : Using mfs to dust?

tC_Crazy
10-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I was looking at the OXO good grips mini duster from autopia. I`m gonna place an order with them and got to thinking. I`ve noticed that my microfiber buffing and drying towels remove dust very effectively off the paint. So would it be OK to use these all the time? I realize the oxo would probably be the better solution, but for a 16 year old thats strapped for cash, which option is better?

Also, i`m planning on buying a QD because it`s starting to get too cold to wash outside. Today will likely be the final hand wash of the year. :( My plan is to wash it through the touchless when it starts to get dirty, then come home and qd in the garage. I would then qd every few days until the next wash. How does that sound?

Thanks

Accumulator
10-09-2006, 10:07 AM
tC_Crazy- I sympathize with the numerous challenges you`re facing, I didn`t always have it as easy as I do now ;)

IMO the MFs aren`t as good for dusting...yeah, they work better than cotton but they don`t have the wax/etc. stuff that the dusters have and so (IMO) they`re more likely to mar and they won`t grab the dust as well either. I use MFs to dust interiors now and then but I`d be afraid to try it on paint. Honestly, if I were in your situation I would *not* a) dust, for fear of marring the finish b) buy the duster, because it`s an unnecessary expense. For the cost of the duster you could buy some waterless wash product (see advice below), that`s *if* you can put up with having dust on the car.

I don`t think the QDing plan will work out all that well either (gee, I`m just full of good news huh :o ). QDing after the touchless, but before you dry, sounds OK, but not the QDing for a few days between washes...I just think you`ll end up getting it too dirty and the dirt will mar the paint when you QD it off. Maybe you could look into the hose-less washes like QEW/ONR. Yeah, you`re gonna have some trouble keeping it nice when winter gets bad :nixweiss

FWIW there are times when you just have to adjust your wants to work with your situation. Before I had a garage (let alone a decent garage) I simply couldn`t keep my cars as nice as I wanted to and I had to focus on just doing the least damage possible.