PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for best use of various MF towels.

shortspark
10-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I have been sort of into detailing for a couple years now (my truck and fiance`s car) and have an arsonal of micro fiber towels. I have a few of the big ww from Cobra I think (the light green ones with pockets for your hands) and a number of regular mfs from various manufacturers. I also have mfs that are plush on one side and lower nap on the other. Frankly, I`m not sure why unless one side should be used for applying a product and the other is to buff.

The other day I ordered three "Fluffy Premium" mfs from Detailers Paradise and these are really ultra-plush. They felt so different that it made me wonder if all mfs are indeed not equal. Of course I know some are better quality than others but it got me thinking about which ones I should use for what.

So, I would like to ask you all here exactly how you use mfs and for what specific jobs? I`m pretty sure the ww towels are strickly for drying but what do you use for AIO and SG buffing, for example. Besides polish and sealant, do you use a real plush mf for QDs to apply and then a lower nap mf for buffing?

There are just so many kinds of mfs out there and so many different products to put on your car that I`m sort of confused as to what to use with what.

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-06-2006, 02:51 PM
WW - Drying paint, I don`t like to use on glass because I usually end up with streaking problems.

Thick\Heavy Nap - Removing QD residue when claying, cleaning dirty areas with QD

Medium Nap - Regular QD`ing, final buff after removing initial wax residue

Tight Nap - Removing polish/compound residue, buffing wax residue directly after applying wax

Terry Towels Rim duty and door jams

I have special towels that have basically zero nap for cleaning glass.

fdizzle
10-06-2006, 11:03 PM
you get streaking with WW MF?, Im wondering if the cobra WW glass towell is different than their WW guzzler.... (drying towel)

I usually redo the windows with a clay/polish/cleaner depending on how bad they are . . . . never checked to see if when using my cobra guzzler if the windows streaked, but their glass towels which is a waffle weave works wonders, at least for me . . .

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-06-2006, 11:24 PM
you get streaking with WW MF?, Im wondering if the cobra WW glass towell is different than their WW guzzler.... (drying towel)

They are probably a tighter weave than what a regular WW for paint would be so I would imagine that would help with streaking. Even though I said I get streaking, its not bad at all, its really only noticeable under direct sunlight looking through the windshield.