PDA

View Full Version : hoodliners or metal?

Sedan Man
10-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Assuming we`ve dealt with the top, what do people do with the underside? About half the show pics have mirrors mounted to display the engine bay. The rest are divided between standard liners and bare (mostly polished) metal. For older cars with rotting liners and no concours prospects do you replace or tear off? What function do the liners serve, anyway? How often do you replace them? Is Dynamat the preferred product, or have you some home brew formula that is just as effective?

Accumulator
10-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I`ve gone both ways, remove/replace. If the engine in question makes a lot of heat I`d replace the pad so you don`t cook the paint on the hood. If it doesn`t, and you don`t want/need the extra sound deadening, then leave it off.

I`d probably go with a factory mat myself, more likely to fit without a lot of monkeying around. Got a new one coming for the M3.

How often....all mine are OK on the cars I`ve had since new, even the `85 Jag`s is OK (if not perfect). But the ones on the cars I buy used *always* need replaced. I suspect it`s a matter of keeping them clean and dealing with any sagging immediately so it doesn`t rub on the engine/etc.