PDA

View Full Version : Rotary usage with side handle

RAG
10-05-2006, 08:19 PM
I was just wondering how many people use the plastic side handle (or top-mounted handle) versus griping the rotary polisher directly. Not to "load" the responses, but it sure seems to me that the side handle was designed for high-torque grinding type work and ultimately for polishing yields less control.

On a side note, I`m baffled by the purpose of the adaptors that put excessive space (like 4"+) between the backing plate and the buffer. What`s the point? In my experience, you gain more control by having a lower profile setup with the pad closer to the buffer...only makes sense.

tsbrewers
10-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I think the handle is a matter of prefference. I like using it.

I also think the stand-off is better to get into tight areas. just a guess though.

Brew

RAG
10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I think the handle is a matter of prefference. I like using it.

I also think the stand-off is better to get into tight areas. just a guess though.

Brew

Yeah, actually I suspect most people use the handle, but I also suspect most people haven`t tried it without the handle, or don`t have a polisher that`s easy to grip.

As far as getting into tight areas, the only area I ever have difficulty with is direcly below the side mirrors. And yes, the extensions does allow you to get in here better, just don`t think the trade off is worth it.

EBPcivicsi
10-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I use the bail style handle on the makitta, though I do polish bareback from time to time. It really depends on the car and my mood.

I am sometimes nervous when using the machine without the handle--scared that my finger might get caught in the "moving parts." :scared:

I never understood the extensions either. :nixweiss I guess for perfect centering it is worth it??

imported_GregCavi
10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I use the top handle myself. It has always been the most comfortable for me with the makita.

Greg

SpoiledMan
10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I have a side handle Black & Decker and a bail handle Hitachi. I prefer the bail style handle for less stress on the wrists as well as more control. I can`t put my hands directly on the machine for the same reason as EBP!! It`s a phobia I guess.:rofl

RAG
10-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I tried the bail style when my Makita was new, but I can`t say I gave it a fair shake. But I`m probably pretty set in my ways, and with who knows how many thousands of hours polishing "bare back," I`ve not yet had a problem.

SpoiledMan
10-05-2006, 09:48 PM
What can I say? Some people are scared of the dark!:chuckle:

01bluecls
10-05-2006, 10:03 PM
I use the side handle with my Makita, never tried the other handle.

Brian_Brice
10-05-2006, 10:15 PM
dont know what style its called but i use the handle on the makita 9227, i hold it from the side if im polishing vertical panels on top if horizontal. just easy for me that way.

Accumulator
10-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I can`t remember the last time I used my side handle on the Makita...but I think I did use it on some side panels. Sure must`ve been a long time ago though. But then I don`t use the rotary all that often either.

Wonder if I got the extension with mine (and if so, where it is), that could be handy in some cases like under the mirrors.

metal
10-07-2006, 06:43 PM
I use the bail handle on my Makita as well, never tried it bare.

GearHead_1
10-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I use the side handle on my Makita and like it just fine. I have tried using it without any handle but prefer using it.