PDA

View Full Version : Bad marring from Claymagic

Pages : [1] 2

Grimm
10-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Has anyone else had a bad experience of marring from Claymagic claybar? When I first found out about claying last year I bought one, and it worked great. I just bought a new one a couple months ago, and just used it for the first time on my black Bonneville. I just did the hood mostly since I had just clayed it when I first bought it (with the last claybar). I used it with soap which I`ve done before, and after drying the hood looked like garbage. It was lubed enough because it wasn`t dragging or anything. But when it was dried, it looked like I had rubbed the paint with steel wool or something. It polished out easy enough, but I`m afraid to use it after this. Think it could be just a bad piece of clay?

gmblack3
10-04-2006, 02:05 PM
I had the same thing last year on a black vette. I tried a different bar (can`t remember) and had the same thing happen. Have used blue clay magic on plenty of cars since then without any issues.

imported_Grouse
10-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I find that it is realated to the soap and water breaking down the clay.

The car it happened on was an audi, luckily a polish not a compound took car of it.

I have switched clays, and back to detail spray.

sdcj
10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I have used Claymagic with no issue many times. I have used it with both QD and soap, but when using soap I try to make sure it is enough to stay slicker than water. Not sure what could have happened...

Grimm
10-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I used the soap because it`s easier to do while washing, but I guess I better try the spray next time.

BA_Titan
10-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I wash the car but leave it wet, then use the spray with the car still wet. Seem to use a lot less of the spray. If it`s sunny I pull it into the garage. Has worked with Mothers and ClayMagic.

newtlicious
10-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I had a similar problem but soon realized that it wasnt marring but rather streaks of clay. Again, it only happened when I used soap and water for lube. Using a QD solved the issue for me. Good luck!

fdizzle
10-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I have a bad habbit of using way to much qd when I clay - but I suppose in the long run it cant hurt, as I use clay magic frequently and have yet to encounter the above mentioned problems . . . .

perhaps the soap being used was to potent . . .

drock
10-04-2006, 06:11 PM
i also recently had the same problem; before this i never had problems with claymagic. OP was able to take care of it tho

David Fermani
10-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I`ve only experienced marring/abading from Red Clay Magic. I`ve been through over a 1000 bars of Blue Clay Magic and it has very happened. Correction: If the paintwork is very fresh/new/soft, it might damage it, but normal friction could do damage in that case.

Was there ANY dirt or debris on/in your clay? If so, your rubbing it against the finish. Sometimes a brand new bar just used on a very heavy oversprayed panel could damage the next vehicle`s finish it comes in contact with, if not needed properly.

Grimm
10-04-2006, 08:41 PM
This was a brand new bar, and I just used it on the hood and front bumper. I did the hood first, and there was hardly any debrise in the clay until I did the bumper.

David Fermani
10-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I`d call Auto Magic(not e-mail) and I`m sure they will exchange it for a new bar.

Charlie Matco
10-04-2006, 09:27 PM
I had a bar that felt really gritty. They told me that it can sometimes happen if it is the end of the batch.

Grimm
10-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Maybe I`ll do another spot on the car with another piece (I only used a third of a bar) and see if I have the same result. Then if it does it again, I`ll try calling them.

budman3
10-05-2006, 07:54 AM
A few of the Clay Magic bars that I`ve used were hard as a rock and when I tried to knead it, it would just break apart. I even bought a kit in FL and had the same problem... it didn`t scratch or hurt the paint... but it was a PITA to use... my fix- buy another brand.