PDA

View Full Version : winter car...got it...now a question

imported_paradigm
10-04-2006, 08:30 AM
i mentioned this hot ride in a few other threads...a 1992 honda accord LX. 5spd...155k miles.

the dealer has now done a TON of repairs (no cost to me) before and after the sale:

new:

-timing belt

-water pump

-full exhaust

-driver side mirror housing and mirror (with motor)

-balancer shaft seal

-front rotors

-front wheel bearings

pretty impressive service from the dealer, eh? :)

anyway, i realize it`s a 14 year old car...so she is not going to drive like my TL, but i still like to know what CAUSES problems, even if they are not serious.

so, what causes this one:

starting from a stop and easing off the clutch SLOWLY (like when the car in front of you is moving too slowly to take off at "normal" 1st gear/clutch speed)...the car would shudder fairly bad until i got all the way into 1st. it only did this a few times today, and otherwise seems to shift perfectly (i cannot feel any slipping in the clutch, etc).

thoughts? perhaps it`s just me not being used to the clutch yet and i wasn`t giving it enough gas for that speed.

thanks-

BigJimZ28
10-04-2006, 08:48 AM
sound to me like you just need to get used to the clutch and the less powerfull motor

it reminds me of when i was learning to drive a stick

imported_Yal
10-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I agree you need to get used to it ;) Don`t release the clutch that far, you haven`t got as much torque as the TL so its going to be slower going in that situation when using clutch power to move the car.

TigerMike
10-04-2006, 09:37 AM
I agree, you`re not giving enough gas and/or releasing the clutch out too far too soon, for such a small motor.

I drove my dad`s manual 4cyl. Chevy S-10 (older model) years ago, and it would do the same thing, without careful timing of gas/clutch feathering. So, your "problem" sounds normal. :)

imported_paradigm
10-04-2006, 07:49 PM
excellent...after playing around with it more today i`m 99% sure that is indeed the cause (which is a good thing) :)

true...it`s a "bit" different than driving my TL. hehe. the sweet thing is that after i drive the old accord, the TL always seems that much better! i`ll never get sick of it that way...it`s like constantly buying a new car! hahahaha

thanks all-

Joshua312
10-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Hey! Congrats on the new winter ride :) Have you posted any pics of it yet? I think I missed your other threads...Thanks!

BigJimZ28
10-04-2006, 07:57 PM
the sweet thing is that after i drive the old accord, the TL always seems that much better! i`ll never get sick of it that way...it`s like constantly buying a new car! hahahaha

thanks all-

I know what you are saying, every time I take my 81 z28 out

then get back in the 97 z28 it feel so slow!