PDA

View Full Version : Quick detailing. Advice needed.

Fabys
10-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Hello to everyone.

Please, could someone give me an advice referring to the quick detailing. Is it possible to process the car if there is no possibility to wash it directly before detailing? Is it possible to operate on open parking place? May I detail the car, if it was washed last time let`s say 24 hours ago?

Thanks in advance.

socommatthews
10-04-2006, 08:31 AM
well i do that sometimes.ill wash the car late the night before then ill use some Sonus QD to get any contaminates off the next morning and then clay, wax and so on.as long as it dosnt get REALLY dirty in that time period then dust is easy to get off but you have to get that stuff off before detailing.

Milestones
10-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Yeah - I pretty much gave up on quick detailing on a vehicle that has been driven at all since it`s last full wash. There`s too much risk of scratching IMO, even with a good technique, QD, and plush MF towel.

I now reserve QD for a car that has sat in the garage for a few days after washing or to spruce up the finish on a just washed car.

Fabys
10-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Thank you guys for your questions.

I live in Greece, and most frequently there are no garages down here. Just open parking places. I`m thinking to provide some kind of service of quick (express) deailing in the place [or how to say that right? Sorry for my weak english :o ] So that`s why I`m asking about washing. And now after you gave your replies I think it would be enough if someone will wash his car and then will call me in 3-5... or even 24 hours. But AFAIU I have to use the clay bar anyway, haven`t I?

Thanks.

racingbeat
10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
THe other night it rained really really hard for about an hour. The next morning my car was full of water beads and the Sun was out. I diluted some Optimum No Rinse into a spray bottle and sprayed each panel of the still wet car thorougly. I sprayed a Poorboys waffle weave towel with the ONR as well, so that both parts were well lubricated (paint and towel). In one long pass I cleared off the water and cleaned the surface. Fliped the towel and continued until the whole car was done.

Step two was to Repeat this process with FK 146 on a poorboys Mega Towel. FK 146 which works as a quick detail cleaner/wax as you dry and dust repellent all in one product. ONR leaves the surfae slick but 146 goes one better and gives it a telfon like coating. I find that rainfall is actually a friend now (strange saying after having owned a black daily driver for 5 years). The rain particularly heavy rain pushes the soil to the lower parts of the car because the surface on my car is always slick.

I wouldn`t touch the paint between washes but if you have a special occasion that you want to show off the car for Using ONR and 146/425 cuts down the accumulation of dust between washes and provides a very lubricated clean up. Just always remember that you should never touch dry paint if its not CLEAN. Thoroughly wet down the whole panel and your towel before making contact and flip the towel religiously. In my trunk I always keep a bag with at least 6 or 7 towels so I won`t be tempted to keep using the towel once all 8 quarters have been soiled.

another visual trick is instead of touching your paint, clean your glass and wheels often and dress the tires weekly. Makes the car look just detailed even if the paint is not totally clean.

fdizzle
10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I usually just look at the car and if I halft to question myself as to whether or not it is to dirty, I will usually 86 the idea of QD and just wash.

Fabys
10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
2racingbeat

Thank you very much for this useful info. In my case the most important to use as less water as it possible in order not to soil the pavement. As I`m gonna make my job at the open parking places I think neighbors will not be in the enthusiasm if they will find some dirty puddles around. :buffing: :chuckle:

racingbeat
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
How would you get FK1 and Optimum No Rinse in Greece?

Fabys
10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
How would you get FK1 and Optimum No Rinse in Greece?

I`m thinking to try Meguiar`s products on my owm birdy first of course, later on if I`ll get good enough result I`ll advertise my service and then will see... Also I`m gonna try that stuff from Japan [see the link in one of my previous posts] I paid $130 sufficiently expansive, but I think that wasn`t money for nothing.

Anyway, if I`ll decide to get the things you ask I think I`ll find some e-shop to order that.

Now, sorry for importunity but I have some other questions.

1. What "start up kit" would you suggest me to be able to make a quick external detailing? Means, some cleaner for plastics, chrom etc.. wax, polish, protector`n`stuff...

2. How do you think if it is possible to use a plain drill instead of PC. I called to the local Meguiar`s representative and asked if they has something like a PC, but I was confused a bit with their answer. They tald me if I`m not experienced enough in machine polishing then it may cause a serious damages of the color coat. Is that true? :o As I`m an amateur I ask amateurish questions so far, but... :)

PS: Other problem with me is following. Actually I`m russian living in Greece and unfortunatelly my current residence permit has expired. So it means i`m illeal here at the moment. Now you understand why I`m interested only with mobile sevice?;) It`s just more safety for me referring to the police`n`stuff :o

Fabys
10-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Hello guys,

No more advice? :o

Eliot Ness
10-06-2006, 08:07 AM
.....2. How do you think if it is possible to use a plain drill instead of PC. I called to the local Meguiar`s representative and asked if they has something like a PC, but I was confused a bit with their answer. They tald me if I`m not experienced enough in machine polishing then it may cause a serious damages of the color coat. Is that true? .....A PC is very easy to use if you can find something similar that will run off the power you have in Greece. Meguiars sells a PC (part # G100A) (http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-car-detailing-accessories/Electric-Dual-Action-Polisher), but the power it needs is 120VAC at 60 hertz (cycles). You might need a power converter to use that in Greece.

Autogeek sells a Spot Buff Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/4inch-spot-buffs.html) that can be used with a drill, but you wouldn`t want to do a complete car with something like that........ it would only be used to do a small area.

You might want to post in the Europe Forum (http://autopia.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116) also, I notice there are some members from Greece that might be able to help you find what you are looking for.

abbeysdad
10-06-2006, 08:36 AM
There are many people that have a place to park, but not a place to wash and detail. You might be limited to a coin-op car wash, then drive home a few miles and further detail in a parking space.

Matter of fact, living in the Northeast, this is my fate for winter (which seems like 8 months long!

I think you can do this if you`re careful. In general, I don`t think much of QD products, but in this case, they have a purpose in removing any minor contaminants between the wash and the more advanced detail. I am also intrigued by ONR, but have never used it - it seems to have many uses, from a no rinse wash to a QD spray.

You just need to inspect the surface and only polish or apply an LSP if the vehicle is clean.