PDA

View Full Version : Shopping List

dmehak
10-03-2006, 11:51 PM
I started to put together a list of products for detailing my new car (on its way from the factory) and so far it looks like this:

Wash: P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo

Clay: Mothers Clay Bar System

Polish: ?

Glaze: P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Seal: Klasse Twins

Wax: P21S Carnauba Paste Wax

Because the car is coming directly from the factory I`m thinking the P21S Cleansing Lotion should be able to work as my polish and my glaze - but maybe I need something more aggressive to use before the P21S incase there are any swirls or scratches?

Any thoughts?

Beason
10-04-2006, 12:10 AM
for an easy and cost effective polish Id look at OP/OC/OHC. This gives you twice the polish for the money and one that is easy to use. If you cant order all three Id suggest getting OHC and OP and mixing the two to making a less aggresive middle compound.

imported_artikxscout
10-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Did you tell the factory to leave it in the plastic? I hope so. -_-

cchiu1026
10-04-2006, 01:53 AM
I`ve used the Mothers Clay and loved it, but i`ve been seeing posts saying that Clay Magic may be a better buy as far as performance/price. Well the Klasse AIO is also a polish that is probably more agressive then the P21S paint cleaner if i`m ont mistaken. So why not just skip the Lotion, if you are going to use the Klasse twins. Polish I see is more if it`s needed. If the Klasse AIO can take the imperfections off that will work as your polish, unless you have heavier swirls. Then again you can take a few passes with the AIO. I believe I saw a thread where it showed how much swirls were removed with two passes of Klasse AIO. :think2

Someone have any input on my thoughts? Am I right?

Chris

fdizzle
10-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Having used both AIO and KSG myself, along with paste Souveran, which is very similar to the p21s you are looking at buying - I have got a 50/50 feeling on other threads about applying nuba products over KSG.

Its no problem over AIO, in fact many people feel that that combination of AIO w/ a quality paste wax atop it provides one of the most amazing finishes around.

I would research a little more and gather as much info from the pros on this forum before buying -

you will also see threads about the new AIO formula being changed due to VOC nonsense. Some think it has had a negative effect, others cant tell a difference. I have never had the luxury of trying the old forumla, but the Black 300C I detailed with FAST05STANG using AIO and KSG x2 came out better than new.

We used Pinnacles paintwork cleansing lotion (similar to the p21s) via an orange LC pad with the PC, and applied AIO with a white pad. Even though the vehicle is new, you are going to clay it - might as well use the PCL to prep for AIO, but like cchiu1026 stated - aio can act as a mild polish. it may take a few passes though . . . .good luck with the new ride . . .

imported_02ZTSfocus
10-04-2006, 07:09 AM
I`m putting my vote in for Optimum Polish. It should be strong enough to use on a new car, but not overly aggressive. It will leave the finish impeccable and is very user friendly.

If you going to use the Klasse twins, I would advise skipping the Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. AIO will do everything the Lotion will do and more. Not to mention, if the Lotion leaves and filling oils or gloss enhancing oils, AIO will strip them right off.

Ive used the Mother`s clay system, and other than the detail spray, I am happy with it. I`m not a fan of the detail spray simply because of the smell, after a whole car its nauseating.

dmehak
10-04-2006, 10:15 AM
I’ve been thinking about skipping the P21S Cleansing Lotion (as mentioned) and using the Klasse AIO as my polish (as mentioned).

Also, I might skip the Carnauba Paste Wax as well. The car is a daily driver, and using Carnauba over the SG would mean I have to strip with AIO to apply more layers of SG (because the SG won’t bond to the Carnauba) - right?

So basically I’m looking at:

Wash: P21S

Clay: Mothers

Polish: AIO

Seal: SG

I might look into Carnauba in the spring, but winter is around the corner and I’m more concerned with protection for the time being. Spring might also bring some scratches and swirls that need a more aggressive polish than AIO to remove…

dmehak
10-05-2006, 09:31 PM
So for a daily driver heading into winter is this enough protection:

Wash, Clay, AIO, SG

I can`t imagine I`ll have much need for using a stronger polish on a brand new car?

dmehak
10-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Anyone think I need to put a LSP over the SG for winter?

AL-53
10-18-2006, 11:44 AM
depends wher you live..I used collinite over Sg last winter and it held up fine....3 coats of each did nice...still beading in May

Al

D Tailor
10-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Since it`s new I would use Menzerna Acryllic Jet. It`s a one-step polish/sealant. With a polishing pad it should remove any dealer-prep micro-marring and protect in one. Then you could follow up with another layer or two of whatever LSP you decide upon.

DM101
10-18-2006, 02:09 PM
You would not beleive the crap that is on a new car. RAIL DUST, road dirt, etc. I would clay and then use Menzerna Final Polish ll. That will give you a good prep.