PDA

View Full Version : Newb here - question on a new 2006 corvette?

webdzynes
10-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Ive had the car since February 6 and have 11k miles on it and about 8 coats of Zaino and 2-3 NXT as well. It looks great but I`m thinking it`s time for a clay job and polishing. Now, I bought the Porter Cable last year but have never used it. Obviously I dont want swirls but many swear by it on here as long as its used correctly. I read on more than a few sites that using the PC will actually produce a better shine, in less time and with far less work. Since I hope to do 2-3 applications in 1 weekend, I kinda like the idea.

Can you guys recommend what pads (in sequence) I should buy (following the Dawn wash of course) to apply 2-3 Zaino coats back to back and/or what other procedures I should take? I really want the best shine and protection I can get - then again, doesnt everybody - (I`m not wedded to Zaino but it has done well for me so far...)

4point6
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
If you`re claying, you don`t need to wash with dawn. I don`t think you should ever wash with dawn personally, but many do.

BobD
10-03-2006, 02:57 PM
If you`re claying, you don`t need to wash with dawn. I don`t think you should ever wash with dawn personally, but many do.

That all depends on the clay in my opinion. From what I see, most lcays won`t take off any wax or sealant.

webdzynes
10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
That all depends on the clay in my opinion. From what I see, most lcays won`t take off any wax or sealant.

I bought a Zaino clay bar to use if that makes a difference...

ZaneO
10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
As I mentioned on CF, sealants (like Z5 Pro and Z2 Pro) don`t need a machine for application. If you`re wanting to take advantage of the Porter Cable, you need some abrasive polishes, not just different pads.

imported_paradigm
10-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Zaino is (arguably) best applied by hand. since most people agree that the thinner the application layer the better, you will only waste product by using it with the PC.

webdzynes
10-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I`m certainly open for suggestions... Can I get a better shine (& protection) using a series of different pads, polishes, waxes and the PC?

Eliot Ness
10-03-2006, 11:58 PM
I`m certainly open for suggestions... Can I get a better shine (& protection) using a series of different pads, polishes, waxes and the PC?Zaino is a prety good sealant that has great durability plus the new Pro series looks very good....... so if you`re happy with the looks of Zaino it will be hard to find better protection. Where the PC comes into play is removing any paint defects, like swirls, that you might have. To remove them you`ll need an abrasive polish and the correct pads for your PC. Swirls will be easiest to spot in direct sunlight or under gas station/parking lot lights at night. The PC is also handy for applying some waxes, glazes, and sealants, but like the others have mentioned, Zaino is easiest to just apply by hand.

If you read these forums long enough you`ll find that there are almost as many different opinions as to what looks best on a finish as there are members. The only way to tell if a different wax or sealer will look better on your car in *your* eyes is to try something different...... but if you`re happy with Zaino that`s what I would stick with after you remove any defects (swirls, marring, etc.) from your paint...... if you have any.