PDA

View Full Version : jeffs werkstatt choice and application

Pages : [1] 2 3

silversx
10-03-2006, 12:33 AM
i read some a lot of great reviews about werkstatt`s acrylic products and im gonna order some..

i have a 2 month old black lexus.. and i`ve been using nxt tech wax.. and i can not tolerate the hazyness ANYMORE.. i applied it this weekend.. it looked great in the sun after removal.. but today.. after driving about 60 miles and parking in the sun.. it developed a hazy cloudiness on the hood AGAIN!! .. maybe due to heat?? and i when i wipe with a finger.. i see streaks.. unacceptable!!!

so.. back on topic.. in my search for a long lasting "candy shell" long lasting protection..i read about klasse`s formula change and decided on the werkstatt products instead

however i still have some questions..

does the prime or jett trigger products have any filling abilities like nxt.. to hide those minor swirls??

which prime should i need.. my car is brand new.. has some of those unavoidable minor swirls.. other than that.. its in good shape.. werkstatt has a few different Prime formulas.. does "prime acrylic" offer better protection at the cost of ease of use?? do i scrub prime in like i would with a scratch remover?? really working it???

also does the "acrylic jett" differ from "acrylic jett trigger" in terms of look and ease of use?? it sounds to me like trigger is very easy to use.. spray on mf towel.. wipe until clear??? which should i use .. im pretty noob to detailing.. no PC.. all hand

sorry for so many questions and thanks for any tips and info.. i really need it :chuckle: :chuckle:

HondaGuy
10-03-2006, 01:03 AM
I dont really know a whole lot about Jeff`s stuff, but I would suggest getting prime, acrylic jett and carnauba jett (the carnauba should have more filling ablities, while the sealant offer more protection). But beyond that I will leave it to others who know more about his stuff.

imported_mburnickas
10-03-2006, 05:15 AM
I am not 100% sure but JW prime as some fillers, I THINK. I have all the primes and so far the best, I feel, is there prime acrylic applied with a LC pad. At least a more “pop†shine for me.

You also do not work it. Let the product do the work.

Lastly, Get the Trigger. Much easier to apply.

Not the best Lexus around but JW makes it look very nice. You also do NOT use much product either.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78335

SVR
10-03-2006, 06:53 AM
[quote name=`silversx`]i read some a lot of great reviews about werkstatt`s acrylic products and im gonna order some..

i have a 2 month old black lexus.. and i`ve been using nxt tech wax.. and i can not tolerate the hazyness ANYMORE.. i applied it this weekend.. it looked great in the sun after removal.. but today.. after driving about 60 miles and parking in the sun.. it developed a hazy cloudiness on the hood AGAIN!! .. maybe due to heat?? and i when i wipe with a finger.. i see streaks.. unacceptable!!!

so.. back on topic.. in my search for a long lasting "candy shell" long lasting protection..i read about klasse`s formula change and decided on the werkstatt products instead

does the prime or jett trigger products have any filling abilities like nxt.. to hide those minor swirls??

I doubt jett would and have not found any of the primes to fill. The results I get stay that way.

which prime should i need.. my car is brand new.. has some of those unavoidable minor swirls.. other than that.. its in good shape.. werkstatt has a few different Prime formulas.. does "prime acrylic" offer better protection at the cost of ease of use?? do i scrub prime in like i would with a scratch remover?? really working it???

Well I would polish it first and then use prime acrylic and then jett trigger.

Prime strong can be used as a stand alone sealant if you wish.

Acrylic is very easy to use, apply a very small amount and hand apply it just like any polish and then remove.

also does the "acrylic jett" differ from "acrylic jett trigger" in terms of look and ease of use?? it sounds to me like trigger is very easy to use.. spray on mf towel.. wipe until clear??? which should i use .. im pretty noob to detailing.. no PC.. all hand

Trigger is far easier to use. Original jett is hard to completely buff off when spraying it, can leave smears.

Trigger provides a little more depth and glassy shine over time.

Darren F
10-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I use Prime Acrylic and Acrylic Jett Trigger on my 2007 Black Lexus...Car looks great....You do not need to polish the car first since the Prime in an AIO with added Acrylic for more durability...Do not need to "scrub" it in like a scratch remover since it is not abrasive, it is more of a chemical cleaner and polish....and also from what I understand Wekstatt`s products do not have any fillers....Acrylic Jett Trigger is very easy to use, just spray it on and wipe it off...After I put on the Prime Acrylic I spray the panel with the Acrylic Jett and then remove it.....

imported_Picus
10-03-2006, 11:25 AM
i read some a lot of great reviews about werkstatt`s acrylic products and im gonna order some..

sorry for so many questions and thanks for any tips and info.. i really need it :chuckle: :chuckle:

Ok, my turn. :)

In my experience with Prime Strong, it does not have fillers. There are two ways you can use the "primes", first as a polish/chemical cleaner and second as a sealant base. How you use it is up to you. If you want to use it to do light polishing (strong has about the same cut as old AIO, so not a lot) you use it just like a regular polish, work it in, wipe it off. Same if you are using it as a chemical cleaner to clean water spots, etc... Do this over the entire car and then apply Acrylic Jett or AJT. Do not expect it to remove much marring especially by hand.

If you`re just using it as a base sealant apply foam applicator like a sealant over the entire car, let it sit for 30 min, then buff off with AJT or buff off, apply AJ and buff that off. In your case I would recommend Prime Acrylic in conjunction with AJT.

Now, AJ vs AJT; same thing but one is sprayable. I rarely use my AJ because AJT offers the same look and protection and is a breeze to use. You spray a full spray on a panel, spread with one side of the mf, flip and buff. A little goes a long way.

Lastely, regarding prime application - prime can be a little hard to remove if applied to thick. You want to apply it thin enough that you see very few/no "white" areas, you want it to be transparent before buffing it off. I usually buff prime off with AJT to save a step.

silversx
10-03-2006, 01:34 PM
thanks for the replies everyone

i ordered some Prime:Acrylic and AJ Trigger.. hope its gonna work awesome!!

so for prime.. i just work it on the paint.. let it sit for an hour.. buff off??

and ajt.. just spray on panel.. wipe.. flip towel and final wipe off??

SDLexus
10-03-2006, 02:48 PM
thanks for the replies everyone

i ordered some Prime:Acrylic and AJ Trigger.. hope its gonna work awesome!!

so for prime.. i just work it on the paint.. let it sit for an hour.. buff off??

and ajt.. just spray on panel.. wipe.. flip towel and final wipe off??

Picus answered your question regarding Prime in his above post.

If you`re looking for it to fill and/or remove swirls you will be disappointed. Since you have a black car, I suggest investing in a PC and polishing out the defects with a pure polish before applying Prime and AJT.

As far as AJT, just spray onto the panel, spread around a bit and buff off. 1-2 spritzes per panel depending on size should suffice. Use sparingly. Also I found AJT to be a bit more "grabby" than a detail spray so I wouldn`t use an ultra plush microfiber to apply it; use a lower nap microfiber.

imported_Picus
10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Picus answered your question regarding Prime in his above post.

If you`re looking for it to fill and/or remove swirls you will be disappointed. Since you have a black car, I suggest investing in a PC and polishing out the defects with a pure polish before applying Prime and AJT.

As far as AJT, just spray onto the panel, spread around a bit and buff off. 1-2 spritzes per panel depending on size should suffice. Use sparingly. Also I found AJT to be a bit more "grabby" than a detail spray so I wouldn`t use an ultra plush microfiber to apply it; use a lower nap microfiber.

Totally agree. I use a low nap cloth for it too.

Prime application by hand should be easy, apply a small amount to the entire car (you should use less than an ounce), let sit 30 min, buff off. If you want to save a step use AJT to help buff it off.

silversx
10-03-2006, 03:06 PM
will the ajt protect the car from rain water.. hard water spots.. bird poop.. tree sap etc??

from what i read about sealants.. thats what they are suppose to do correct? i hope it will make these contaminants very easy to remove.. and not stain the paint like bird poop did to me last time.. i had to use alcohol to stop the stain from coming back

SVR
10-05-2006, 11:30 AM
will the ajt protect the car from rain water.. hard water spots.. bird poop.. tree sap etc??

from what i read about sealants.. thats what they are suppose to do correct? i hope it will make these contaminants very easy to remove.. and not stain the paint like bird poop did to me last time.. i had to use alcohol to stop the stain from coming back

I have found it to be the best product for preventing damage from these, especially hard water and rain showers and then sunlight

Definately should make it harder for sap etc to stick and hold on.

Darren F
10-05-2006, 12:23 PM
just dont put anything on top of the AJT for 24 hours or so or it might streak since the AJT needs time to cure...I learned this the hard way

SDLexus
10-06-2006, 10:57 PM

Don`t have huge expectations of ANY sealant protecting against toxic bird poop. If you think about it for a minute, bird poop will etch clear coat...what do you think it will do to a "sacrificial barrier" like a sealant or wax if allowed to sit?

The key is to get to the bird poop ASAP or, if you`re in a high poop area, using a car cover.

Scottwax
10-07-2006, 01:32 AM
just dont put anything on top of the AJT for 24 hours or so or it might streak since the AJT needs time to cure...I learned this the hard way

Honestly, I have found no need to top either AJ or AJT.

Just FYI, if you are getting hazing with NXT, odds are you are applying it too thickly and/or removing it before it is completely dry.

dogma
10-07-2006, 05:11 AM
I love the JW line especially prime Acrylic, AJ and AJT. The hazing and such is the main reason why I switched from carnuba to sealants. Maybe like scott said your putting too much, but with a sealant especially on black (for me anyway ) I never have a problem with hazing ,cloudiness or excess oil since I switched to a sealant JMO.

If your black car has metalic I would use Prime acrylic and AJ and/or AJT. If its pure black the Prime carnuba and CJ would be great ( they have all the benifits or carnuba and not many of its faults JMO )

Prime gets the finish clean and preped for AJ/AJT/CJ. For me the AJ does a great job of hiding whats left after a good prime cleaning. AJ is a little harder to work with than AJT but to me will help hide more.