PDA

View Full Version : when is it time to change pads?

tinhead
10-02-2006, 08:57 PM
pretty much what the title says. was just wondering how long do pads usually last or if there is a way of telling that its time to use new ones. have meguiars pads and wolfgang which i believe are the same as lc pads, if that matters. thnx.

fdizzle
10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I would imagine that a regular LC pad, if cleaned properly and brushed after each use would last for quite a few applications - I know that sounds vauge - and it is, but it also depends on the surface condition and size of the vehicle you are working on. (to name a few varibles)

I have used one set (orange/white/black) of pads on 6 different vehicle details, and they all look and feel just like they did once they were broken in.

I am just guessing here, but common sense would tell me that if:

you are getting significant dusting upon application when the same pad and product never had that issue on previous applications

or the edges of the pad look badly worn down

- you probably need replace them.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-05-2006, 06:28 PM
^^ i agree... i think if you wash them good enough they`ll last a while, unless it`s SS paint haha

i`ve used a set of the curved LC 6.5" pads (yellow/white/red) for about 5 cars and the only thing i noticed (only with cutting pads and more abrasive polishes) is that some of the polish is staying in the pad... if i wash a few times in hot water this comes out though... i replace them when i see the foam getting worn out or if i do a car with SS paint, the pad usually dies soon after