PDA

View Full Version : meg`s #21 and #5...

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-02-2006, 08:25 PM
i just ordered some products from meg`s and i wanted to know about 21 and 5... i never used the two before but wanted to give 21 a try and compare it to klasse... also, the #5, i hear it`s a polish but also acts as a wax... can someone explain it a little more... should i apply #21 before or after #5, and if it`s before, can i put a carnauba on top of 5 or is 5 something like a carnauba

sorry if these are pretty dumb

thanks

Accumulator
10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
I can`t help with the #21 but I`ve used #5 forever (first used it in `76, still use it on all my repaints for the first 3-4 months). FWIW it`s my overall favorite of the Meg`s "pure polishes".

#5 is nonabrasive, think of it as a "glaze". It leaves a *very* little bit of protection..won`t quite wash off in a hard rain but won`t last through a regular wash either (unless you top it).

It can be wiped off while still wet or allowed to dry. Try to keep it off black trim (wipe it off before it dries if you do get it on some). #5 is about the most foolproof product I`ve ever used, I can`t even think of any tips/warnings (other than the trim bit, and it`s not like it does any *awful* staining) because the stuff is just *so* user-friendly.

You`d apply the #21 (or other LSP, I use carnaubas on top of #5 when I use it on cured paint) *after* the #5. The #5 will provide a little extra gloss and fill some minor marring and then the LSP seals the #5 in so it doesn`t just wash off.

Not dumb Qs at all, not that many people use #5; it`s sorta an obscure, overlooked product but *I* really like it.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I can`t help with the #21 but I`ve used #5 forever (first used it in `76, still use it on all my repaints for the first 3-4 months). FWIW it`s my overall favorite of the Meg`s "pure polishes".

#5 is nonabrasive, think of it as a "glaze". It leaves a *very* little bit of protection..won`t quite wash off in a hard rain but won`t last through a regular wash either (unless you top it).

It can be wiped off while still wet or allowed to dry. Try to keep it off black trim (wipe it off before it dries if you do get it on some). #5 is about the most foolproof product I`ve ever used, I can`t even think of any tips/warnings (other than the trim bit, and it`s not like it does any *awful* staining) because the stuff is just *so* user-friendly.

You`d apply the #21 (or other LSP, I use carnaubas on top of #5 when I use it on cured paint) *after* the #5. The #5 will provide a little extra gloss and fill some minor marring and then the LSP seals the #5 in so it doesn`t just wash off.

Not dumb Qs at all, not that many people use #5; it`s sorta an obscure, overlooked product but *I* really like it.

thanks for the reply... i wanted to try #5 because, like you said, it`s sorta obscure, compared to #7, which i plan on trying out soon also

i basically want to compare the #21 to klasse durability and looks as far as topping it off with a carnauba

DM101
10-03-2006, 12:40 PM
I like #5 under #21....Looks great...Don`t apply to heavy because it does leave some dust. After you put a couple of coats of 21 on for a special occasion put a coat of 5 on. Killer looks! Since #5 is a pure polish it will not hurt your #21 sealant... #5 is the dustest of the polishes but is still very easy to use and the looks outweght the little dust.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I like #5 under #21....Looks great...Don`t apply to heavy because it does leave some dust. After you put a couple of coats of 21 on for a special occasion put a coat of 5 on. Killer looks! Since #5 is a pure polish it will not hurt your #21 sealant... #5 is the dustest of the polishes but is still very easy to use and the looks outweght the little dust.

should i apply #5 with a red finishing pad ?? and then #21 by hand ?

DM101
10-11-2006, 03:23 PM
I really don`t think it matters. Your preference. Good Luck

Accumulator
10-11-2006, 03:42 PM
FWIW, I prefer a more open-cell, but still functionally nonabrasive, pad for applying stuff like #5. It`s easy to gum up/saturate a fine-pore finishing pad with those products, what with al the "trade secret oils" and all. I generally use a mild polishing pad for such glazes.

imported_Blake
10-11-2006, 03:47 PM
#21 is super easy wipe on-wipe off. Suggest you put on a couple of coats with 24 hours between each. You can leave it overnight and buff it off the next day if your vehicle is in a garage.