PDA

View Full Version : Battery Cleaning

LoWang
04-05-2005, 03:34 PM
http://www.detailcity.com/photopost/data/500/3903Battery-med.jpg

Stumped

CharlesW
04-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Baking soda and water solution should clean it up.
Be sure to put something on the terminal to avoid the recurence.

Charles

JaredPointer
04-05-2005, 04:03 PM
It may be an "old wives tale," but I think Sprite may work to get the corrosion off. And as Charles said, get something to prevent it from happening again.

wytstang
04-05-2005, 05:34 PM
It may be an "old wives tale," but I think Sprite may work to get the corrosion off. And as Charles said, get something to prevent it from happening again.
Any soft drink (coke, sprite, etc.) will remove the acid build up. They sell cleaning kits at Napa or the like that clean them via a wire brush and a solution that helps prevent further currsion.

wytstang
04-05-2005, 05:39 PM
To add to that audio stores sell gold plated terminal that do not corrode and gold makes a better contact. It you ever take your gauge cluster out and look being it all the contact from factory are gold plated. Here a pic on my engine and you can see the gold terminal...pay no mind to the dirty engine :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/wytstang/myengine.jpg

jaybs02
04-05-2005, 06:26 PM
I normally do as Charles recomended once a year.
Some baking soda and warm water, then I put a little Dielectric(sp?) grease around the terminal.

Good luck
"J"

LoWang
04-05-2005, 06:59 PM
TY it was on the battery when i bought so

stainbuster
04-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Lowang,

We used coke or sprite to clean the battery terminals on forklifts a grocery wharehouse in the 80`s. Those suckers would cake up in not time for some reason.

Carbonation is the key here, and like Charles W said, when combining baking soda and h2o, you have the same effect with less sticky cr@p to deal with down the road. Also, if you can remove the battery, do that. A good stiff brass brush will make the terminals a snap.

Di-electric grease/spray is tops over something like WD-40 or the like. Cleans well, but try to use a dedicated spray electrics.

The felt washers are inexpesive, but very effective. Get some.

While you`re there, check terminal leads for corrosion there as well. Misery loves company.

Sucks installing/cleaning a battery only to discover soon after that the terminal leads were shot as was the case on my way to a vacation in NC in a Grand Prix. The sucks part is in order to remove or work on the battery and connections, you must remove the strut tower brace, washer fluid resevuoir (sp?), ....... :wall :wall

Regards,

Mike

91LSMAN
04-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Baking soda and water solution should clean it up.
Be sure to put something on the terminal to avoid the recurence.

Charles

That`s what I used on the Legend a few weeks ago. I accidently let it get so bad that the Legend lost all power one day.

DetailQueen
04-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Felt washers work great...Wurth makes a great battery cleaner and corrosion protectant too.

madman
04-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I was told that after cleaning the terminals and the clamps, it would do well to give them a thin layer of good old petroleum jelly. Does this really help?

Mikeyzr
04-06-2005, 09:59 PM
After the cleaning, get a can of terminal protector from any auto store. It is a small spray can with a green or pink protective spray. I have NEVER had any corrosion problems after I give it a good soak with that spray. It hardens and is a great protectant. Washers or the red/blue felt washers work ok, but not as good as the spray.

Mike