PDA

View Full Version : what to do for new car?

twist
10-01-2006, 10:05 PM
hey everybody, great site, i just joined. Got word of this site from GM-trucks.com. Anyways im thinking of getting a new truck soon, and if i do i`d like to protect it the best i can. So i wanted to ask some of you guys what would be the best way to do so.

I want to know what steps should be taken when i get a new car. I was thinking, wash with dawn to remove all wax and oils from paint. Then i was thinking about claying it, then after that im pretty much stumped...should i seal the paint then wax or what??? And what products do you guys suggest i use for sealing and for waxing? I live in Michigan so i get alot of salt, snow and lot`s of messy stuff in the winter, so i`d like a good protectant for the winter months ahead. any info would be great and great site...

thanks

Brian

Thomas Dekany
10-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Here is what you DO want to do.

Buy the truck with the plastic on it. Remove it yourself. wash

clay if the vertical ares need it

you can use a light polish

sealant

wax.

what color car?

as far as most durable wax: in my book:::

FK1 - 2180 and top it with 1 or two layers of FK1 #1000 synthetic paste wax.

Good luck.

paul34
10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes everything you said is good. Do seal the paint. A good combo for salty winters is some Klasse AIO and then a few coats of Collinite 845.

Make sure to take care of the inside, too. I`d recommend buying some 303 Protectant and possibly Fabric Guard.

benvegas
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Before you just buy a new vehicle and rip off the plastic, be sure you remember something. If the vehicle was just made 2 weeks ago, the paint should just be washed. Allow it time to dry before going nuts to preserve it. :) Typically there is a manufacture date on the vehicles driver door per DOT regulations that will give you at least the month/year of manufacture.

paul34
10-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I was under the impression that most cars these days have their paint cured via baking, so that they`re ready to go once you get them. Perhaps I was wrong?

benvegas
10-02-2006, 12:19 AM
All depends on the vehicle. In general the more mass produced the car the more likely it was dipped, painted and then baked on. You also have to assume no touchup work was done at the factory, or at the dealership. As a former insurance guy, dealers make a lot of paint claims pre-delivery to customers. Better safe than sorry in my book. :)

CroMag
10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I would second the suggesions of Klasse and Collinite. I actually used AIO, SGx3 and then topped with Collinite 476 on my new car.

The other peice of advice I would toss out there if you have not already done so is to read up on proper washing and drying techniques. It doesn`t matter how well the car is protected from the elements if you wash and dry in a manner that induces marring into your new paint.

twist
10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
thanks to all for the great info, the truck will probuly be white. im pretty sure GM truck/cars are baked in the factory, not for sure, but im guessing it is.