PDA

View Full Version : Tested 3m 5996 (blk car swirl remover)

RAG
09-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I finally had a chance to test the 3M swirl mark remover for black cars (5996); I had requested a sample because I had been told it could finish on black with a DA and not leave any micro-marring. I finally had a good subject to test the product on (soft Nighthawk Black Peal paint on a Honda I had buffed out (via rotary) to near perfection a couple weeks prior). I used the 5996 via PC with a a green P2, but unfortunately it left a slight amount of micro-marring (haze). For comparison purposes, I also did a test spot with P085RD, since this is the best finishing polish I know of - they fineshed down equally well (or bad, depending on how you look at it); both left a slight haze.

And sorry, I didn`t do enough testing to determine the amount of cut produced by 5996...but by guess would be that it`s on par with PO85RD. Also, the 5996 dried a little to quickly for my taste, but by adding a little RMG I`d bet it could be a viable alternative to PO85RD.

wannafbody
09-30-2006, 10:08 AM
why don`t you try some Mothers Powerpolish-it`s easy to work with, cheap and leaves a great finish. Post a review-it would be interesting to see someone compare an inexpensive OTC to some of the expensive boutique stuff.

imported_wagsjr
09-30-2006, 10:41 AM
I used the old formula with a waffle pad with great results via rotary. I am pretty sure it had lots of fillers though. I have this new formula but didnt get to see how long the results lasted on a 98 black bmw.I did find it caked up in spots and needed my megs #34 to bub it out. I think I used to much.