PDA

View Full Version : New 06 bmw 330i Black Sapphire Metallic

roy182
09-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Hello all, I just got this car last week. I have read several pages of posts in the site and done several searches. I am a little overwhelmed with all the products and stages.. :eek: :o :think2

Unfortunately, they "prepped" the car in the dealership (I had not read this web site yet). The car looks a bit dull and has some insect marks.

I would really appreciated if someone can point me in the right direction as to how to detail this particular car (the works), which steps and what products? I want the best of the best, any suggestions or links?

Best Regards,

-roy

imported_02ZTSfocus
09-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Pictures would help us guide you in the right direction.

Regardless, if you want a perfect finish your going to want to invest in a Porter Cable with a good set of pads and some good polishes. I recommend the Optimum kit available on Autogeek.net. I absolutely love my Optimum polishes and they are very friendly to new users.

By "insect marks" do you mean bug guts or etchings in the paint from bugs sitting on the surface too long? If its just guts, you can get a can of Stoners Tarminator from Wal-Mart, but if its etched into the clearcoat you will need to polish them out.

roy182
09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks ZTS, I`ll get pics this afternoon. I think the bug mark is somewhat etched in the clearcoat, I`ll post pic in a few.

I have bookmarked the Porter Cable 7424 /w Pad Kit (189.99) & the Optimum Detailing Kit (79.99). Are these the onse you are refering to? Is this the "best" kit for a black sapphire metallic bmw?

joyriiide1113
09-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Show us some pics.

I have an X5 in the same color and I`ve been using duragloss on the finish.

For the insect marks try using a bug remover followed by some clay...

Where u from by the way?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/JOYRIIDE1113/Canon%20S2ISpics/IMG_0187.jpg

imported_02ZTSfocus
09-29-2006, 02:32 PM
This (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html) is the kit I was referring to.

If you get both kits you are looking at you should have more than enough pads (which is never a bad thing) and quite a bit of little "freebies". You can save some money though by just going with the PC & pad kit and adding the polishes without going with the kit.

As for being the "best", well best is a subjective term, but if you look around you will see that a lot of people absolutely love their Optimum products, even the pros around here usually have a place for something from Optimum.

Grimm
09-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I think the $190 kit is the better value. Then get the Optimum polishes seperate. That is unless you want more pads, then get the Optimum kit as well. One thing to consider is the kits don`t have OHC. As someone mentioned recently, you can mix OP and OHC to get an inbetween blend like OC. Then you have the better cutting power of OHC if you need it. Though you might want to wait until the new formula is released.

But then again, I`m a noob, so what do I know?

johnhoefer
09-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Good suggestion above, if you get the OHC and the OP, you can vary your abrassiveness and get more for your money.

Deanski
09-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Also having a black German car it takes prep and then picking a good no great LSP.

A "PC" is needed. Check Autopia`s online shop for the Sonus line. Works well with German finishes as David B is also a "P" car owner. Also use an ultra-fine clay for light debris. Heavier debirs takes a more aggressive clay.

You`re LSP can be wax or sealant, your choice and besides, YOU have to look at it and enjoy it. Wax: Souveran, or any high-end wax for dark finishes. Sealants: Zaino, FK1, Rejex, Meguiars etc. Now, I have Zaino on my Porsche. Each sealant or wax has a very unique look.

Daily, wash often to knock-off light dust/dirt. Washing also means using sheepskin mitts, two-buckets, lots of water and a way to get it dry fast. I use a Toro hand-held leaf blower that also has a filter attached just in case to whip-off water, then fiish with a MF towel.

Towels plays a BIG roll!! Invest in the best! Use soft thick plush ones for QD work to trap dust/dirt and hold it. Change them often when using them on the finish. What I mean is, don`t use just one for the whole QD work. Use one for part of the car, change to a fresh towel and do another section, change again you get the point. Use cheaper MF towels for wheels and never mix them. Get color coordinated which color for what. Coat your wheels with a sealant as waxes cannot take heat from brakes. Interior is your choice if leather, Zaino Z-10 or 1Z "Lederpflege" for treatments. Please don`t use Lexol on German leather! Besides Lexol smelling like goat pee, it can leave a film not only on the leather but off-gas and leave a film on windows, gauges etc.

Purchase a fitted sunscreen for the windshield! You`ll need it!

Most important, PAINT FILM! If you want to protect the paint from rocks and other objects, paint protection film is mandatory! I have Armorglove on the Porsche and worth every penny!

Enjoy the new ride and CONGRATS!!!!! :2thumbs: :woot2: :woot2:

Deanski